Oil monitor notification - couldn't clear the fault

Miks7

Reactions
So...about two weeks ago the "oil monitor service engine" notification chimed on. I had just checked the oil the previous day, and assumed this was the service engine oil notification. I tried to re-set the service engine oil AND the maintenance service indicator. After the frustration of not being able to do so, the VW dealer told me that there are ten different methods to use, and they weren't sure what procedure was required on the Alltrack.

I called the VW dealer I purchased the vehicle from, hoping they could run the VIN # and be more concise with what I needed to do here. The tech told me an interesting story once I confirmed with him it was the "oil monitor service engine" notification. He told me when it gets cold, they have had times when a rabbit has chewed the wiring. Apparently they climb up close to the oil pan when it gets cold and will chew through the wires that go to the sending unit. My garage port doesn't have a door on it, but I have always appreciated not getting any hail or snow on the vehicle, so I park it there.

I told him that I have seen a lot of rabbits in the back yard, so let me check into this problem. I drove the front tires onto my ramps, and took a look at the sending unit...sure enough, close to the sender was little rabbit teeth marks along with the three wires cut. I spliced them back together, probably will be a permanent fix for me while I figure out what type of rabbit repellent works the best.

Just thought if this should happen to any of you, it is sort of a mysterious problem that the tech at the dealership tells me that he sees relatively frequent during this time of year when it starts getting colder out.

Reactions
Not uncommon in rural Australia during a mouse plague.
Apparently they find the eco friendly soy based wire insulation quite irresistible.

Reactions
Thats crazy, you should get a Nest-cam and see if it really is rabbits.

OP
M

Miks7

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
About a year ago I had my oil sump heater pad cord eaten. I was at the shop an a farm boy who was working on my car, looked right at me after we had the bottom cover off, looked at the marks, and told me it was a rabbit. I see rabbits around the back yard, the clincher being the VW dealer told me they have had instances of finding a live rabbit up there when they pull the cover off.

Reactions
About a year ago I had my oil sump heater pad cord eaten. I was at the shop an a farm boy who was working on my car, looked right at me after we had the bottom cover off, looked at the marks, and told me it was a rabbit. I see rabbits around the back yard, the clincher being the VW dealer told me they have had instances of finding a live rabbit up there when they pull the cover off.
Time to pull out the old shot gun.[hihi]