Oil vent ??

steel1

Reactions
Good friend of mine who is a master tech and a dedicated VW owner suggested I put a oil vent/catch can set-up on my
2017 Alltrack.
He says this will help alleviate some of the carbon build-up issues from direct injection.
Anyone tried this and if so what/where did you get the vent system?

Reactions
Sorry I can not be of alot of help as I have not done this to my Alltrack. I do know that certian engnes (especially the early Mini Engines) this was a problem so I am interested to hear what you find out about this engine and whether it really needs the catch can setup.

PaulGiz

Reactions
Not a bad idea, but the VWs oil separation system works pretty well on the EA888.

Go ahead and install one, the price isn't bad. Don't be surprised if it stays pretty dry.

OP
S

steel1

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yeah still debating if it would be worth installing or not.
Maybe wait until I put some more miles on the car.

Reactions
Yeah still debating if it would be worth installing or not.
Maybe wait until I put some more miles on the car.
I did some research on these (not necessarily this brand) and many users have stated that after extended use they report absolutely nothing in catch can after long periods of use. Also this ecs brand recommends that if you're in freezing temperatures to remove unit and replace with original PVC until temps warm up...it's not an easy job. and it's very possible you could break parts during install/removal. That said though IF you want to use one of these catch cans this ecs one is more user friendly than others I've seen for the Mk7. Personally I don't plan on getting one not until it's proven to be beneficial for our engines.

edit: 4-22-2018, I've been thinking about these catch cans and the recommendation to remove in freezing temps and on my Mk4 Jetta during the winter time is when I always got oil/water sludge build up at my PVC/oil filler and return tube back to the intake. I'd always wind up taking the tube and oil filler/pvc off and spend an hour or so cleaning all the gunk out, what a mess. So maybe a catch can is worthwhile for our direct injection engines I can imagine what all that sludge would do to our engines, valves, turbo, inter-cooler...yikes.

My point I guess is most of the visible build up was during winter time (colder weather not necessarily freezing). Would the ecs be recommending to remove because the water mixed in with oil could potentially freeze and clog the catch can system?
Also I notice that some catch can systems the PVC is removed and a sort of plate goes in it's place such as the ecs one, the APS catch can doesn't the PVC remains in place I think that's a better system as you still have the factory PVC with the addition of a catch can.

Anyway, I'm not picking on ecs or promoting aps those are just 2 brands I've researched and there are many, I used those 2 brands as reference so you can see the differences one with one w/o PVC.
One last thing, most of us have cars that are still under warranty and putting something like this on our engines might void the warranty, I don't know.

Sorry I meant APR.

Last edited: