Oil Change

smurph

Reactions
Oil change done. All in all about $55. 13mm socket and Torx 25 to remove the bolts/screws of skid plate. 32mm socket to remove the oil filter (top side). Flat head screw driver to remove drain plug. Bought new filter, o-ring and drain plug (designed to be replaced each change).

Just be cautious removing filter. I spilled just a BIT of oil. Haha. Good times.

Next one will go easy.

RobynNJ

Reactions
Given the design of the oil filter housing, there will tend to be some oil that drips into the engine bay when you change the filter, but you can minimize it by removing the drain plug and allowing the oil to drain down for a bit before you remove the oil filter housing.

Reactions
I'm not so sure, he took 5.2L out and said engine to full is 5.7L that's 1/2L of old oil left in engine, but he didn't say what his oil level was before draining either, also I know whenever I did oil change on my Jetta via draining thru drain plug I never got out what dipstick showed it was always less than expected.
I wonder how much oil is left trapped in the old filter I wouldn't think it was 1/2L though.
I'm going to have dealer do my oil changes as it's (only?) so about $15 more than DIY ... at least until warranty is up or they raise price...TBD
I just did my first oil change from the oil drain. Taking off the lower skid plate was pretty easy (but I did raise the car to get better access) Just used a plain head screwdriver on the drain plug one turn and it's out. The whole procedure took less than an hour. The only issue was getting the skid plate back on but I just used a couple scrap 4x4's to hold up the back side of skid plate while loosely inserting the front bolts then the rear then the 25mm torx screws finally tightening the bolts and screws. 4 front bolts 3 in rear (13mm) 2 per side in front and IIRC 7 torx screws. The drain plug is just one turn and kind of clicks into place.
I used Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5W40 synthetic spec 502 (VW approved) and genuine VW oil filter and drain plug.
The reason I did it myself? Because of the VW dealer service tech giving wrong info about the oil change...if they have bad info how can I trust them with something as simple as a oil change? Tech told me our cars have threaded metal drain plug and he was "positive" about this stating he'd been tech for YEARS. haha. It's a sad state of affairs when you can't trust the dealership

Reactions
Easier yes, but I will stick with draining from below. Draining from below is your best bet to flush out any fine particles that have accumulated in the oil pan, which is one of the reasons to change the oil in the first place. Drawing it out from the top, at best you might capture whatever particles are nearest to where the tube is.

Easier is not always better.
I agree completely, plus you can inspect for problems while you're under there, coolant leaks, oil leaks, CV boots, ball joints and anything else you can think of, can't do that from the top.
It takes me no more than 45minutes including raising the car removing the skid plate and my little inspection routine., but to each his own.

Reactions
I'm not so sure, he took 5.2L out and said engine to full is 5.7L that's 1/2L of old oil left in engine, but he didn't say what his oil level was before draining either, also I know whenever I did oil change on my Jetta via draining thru drain plug I never got out what dipstick showed it was always less than expected.
I wonder how much oil is left trapped in the old filter I wouldn't think it was 1/2L though.
I'm going to have dealer do my oil changes as it's (only?) so about $15 more than DIY ... at least until warranty is up or they raise price...TBD
EDIT:
I changed my mind when I called the dealership about changing the oil the service tech didn't even know that the drain plug is plastic half turn affair, IF they didn't know that I decided then I'd do it myself and I have every since.
I do it from the bottom, remove the skid plate (7 screws, 7 bolts) not too bad after you've done it once, I also do the oil change every 5kmi. It takes me about 45-60 minutes and I check everything while I'm under the car.