Oil Change

edels

Reactions
Waiting for my Alltrack, does anyone know if I would be able to change the oil myself. I saw a video in youtube about how easy is in the Sportswagen since the filter is accessible from the top and there is no panel blocking the drain. Is the same with the Alltrack? For what I saw, the Sportswagen does not even need to be raised for the drainage.

Reactions
I think it would be very difficult without ramps or jack stands.
There's a large plastic cowling underneath with only 180 - 200mm (7 -8") clearance. Quite a few screws and few bolts involved in the removal of the cowling.

OP
E

edels

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I cannot thank you enough Winchy! Maybe is possible but yes without raising the car maybe hard to remove those screws. At least the filter should be easily accessible like the SportsWagen.
It makes sense they protect from the elements the drainer in a Alltrack. Subaru Outback is easily accessible since it is not covered since is quite recessed; probably with its boxer engine its engineers had the leverage to do so. Anyways, it is not like you will need to do more than 2 or 3 times per year...

Reactions
You're most welcome [MENTION=30]edels[/MENTION].
This will be the first vehicle ive owned that I'm not going to tinker with. Here in Australia we have 12 month or 15,000km service intervals. I'll be leaving the servicing to VW. I'm getting too old and fragile to be crawling around on concrete

OP
E

edels

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
he he... okay, okay, since I kind of made you crawl for the pic, I own you the same.

Here is the Outback 2016 recessed drainage (I put that brass Engine Oil Drain Valve that way I don't have to buy a gasket every-time and the oil just pours without splashing)

[for some reason did not include the pic so here a link instead: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_SO0I97GrZYNTF5bmZId2cyR2c/view?usp=sharing ]

I'll comment back on my experiences with the VW for those who intend to ashamedly knee underneath to the all-mighty Alltrack for an oil change.

Reactions
Yes, those drain valves are excellent! I had one on my Amarok. Don't know how they'd go with the plastic sump on the Alltrack though....

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing this [MENTION=9]Winchy[/MENTION], I'm due for my first oil change too.

crashton

Reactions
So the Alltrack has a plastic sump? VW makes a back road capable wagon & puts a plastic sump on it protected with a plastic imitation skid plate. That is pretty poor if you ask me. If I buy an alltrack I can see a replacement steel sump in its future.

Back on topic oil changes. You could always buy a topside oil changer & suck it out through the top.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
That's a great idea and I forgot about it. Looking at the video its much easier.
[video=youtube;pqGw5GoZzUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqGw5GoZzUw[/video]

So the Alltrack has a plastic sump? VW makes a back road capable wagon & puts a plastic sump on it protected with a plastic imitation skid plate. That is pretty poor if you ask me. If I buy an alltrack I can see a replacement steel sump in its future.

Back on topic oil changes. You could always buy a topside oil changer & suck it out through the top.

Reactions
Now that looks the goods! Certainly a better alternative.

Sleeper

Reactions
I have a Mk7 Golf and now an Alltrack also. My oil kit is on the way, I plan to do it from the bottom this time (did from the top on my Golf). I'll let you all know how removing the guard is. It was super easy on my Golf

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I have a Mk7 Golf and now an Alltrack also. My oil kit is on the way, I plan to do it from the bottom this time (did from the top on my Golf). I'll let you all know how removing the guard is. It was super easy on my Golf
Did the topside oil changers do a good job of pulling all the old oil out?

Sleeper

Reactions
I think so it's hard to tell how much I got out with the topside. I didn't start with an empty container so it was difficult to tell how much I got out.

This is why I'm draining this time. Not to mention the pump dumped last time which defeated the "less mess" benefit. It was my neighbors pump, so it was probably broken and cheap.

crashton

Reactions
Does all the oil come out with a topside change? I'd have to think a bit of oil is left behind. Measure what comes out to find out for sure. My dealer does not remove drain plugs, they told me it's topside only for them. I bought one from Amazon to use on my GTI that was called the Top-Sider & it failed the first time I tried to use it. Guess if I'm going to do top side changes I'll need to invest in a good pump. Although at my age maybe I should just let the dealer do mine from now on.

nothau

Reactions
I have a Mityvac I?ve been using on the Alltrack, Audi TTS, and a 79 F100. Makes changing the oil every 5k easy. Extracts and dispenses.

Dealership and local shop both do top side extraction, so I figure I?m saving money and using my preferred oil and filter.

I drive around to get oil hot, start extraction, loosen filter, when it?s done extracting, I?ll pull the filter, wait ~10 minutes, extract anything left, new filter, add oil. It takes about 30 minutes total.

It takes awhile to extract, so I?ll use that time to check tires, cabin air filter, clean wheels if they need it.

$100 for extractor, $60 for the VAG cars for oil and filters each change.

O?Riellys takes old oil, so I?ll fill up the oil container with old for easy and clean transport.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Top side does sound like an easy solution to change our own oil. Not to mention its safer as well.

I have a Mityvac I?ve been using on the Alltrack, Audi TTS, and a 79 F100. Makes changing the oil every 5k easy. Extracts and dispenses.

Dealership and local shop both do top side extraction, so I figure I?m saving money and using my preferred oil and filter.

I drive around to get oil hot, start extraction, loosen filter, when it?s done extracting, I?ll pull the filter, wait ~10 minutes, extract anything left, new filter, add oil. It takes about 30 minutes total.

It takes awhile to extract, so I?ll use that time to check tires, cabin air filter, clean wheels if they need it.

$100 for extractor, $60 for the VAG cars for oil and filters each change.

O?Riellys takes old oil, so I?ll fill up the oil container with old for easy and clean transport.

Reactions
Now that looks the goods! Certainly a better alternative.
I'm not so sure, he took 5.2L out and said engine to full is 5.7L that's 1/2L of old oil left in engine, but he didn't say what his oil level was before draining either, also I know whenever I did oil change on my Jetta via draining thru drain plug I never got out what dipstick showed it was always less than expected.
I wonder how much oil is left trapped in the old filter I wouldn't think it was 1/2L though.
I'm going to have dealer do my oil changes as it's (only?) so about $15 more than DIY ... at least until warranty is up or they raise price...TBD

PaulGiz

Reactions

Aluminum sumps crack on impact. Steel sumps rust and warp. We're talking space age plastic, computer optimized reinforcement. Better than either.

"Skidplate" on the Alltrack is really thick, fiber reinforced and more than sufficient for the intended use on these vehicles.

If you buy an Alltrack, you re-engineer it using your fantastic research facilities and years of continuing education on modern engineering techniques.

Oil change from the top is great.

RobynNJ

Reactions
Top side does sound like an easy solution to change our own oil. Not to mention its safer as well.
Easier yes, but I will stick with draining from below. Draining from below is your best bet to flush out any fine particles that have accumulated in the oil pan, which is one of the reasons to change the oil in the first place. Drawing it out from the top, at best you might capture whatever particles are nearest to where the tube is.

Easier is not always better.

smurph

Reactions
Interesting that a dealer would service it from the top. You would think for the money they want ($129 CDN for an oil change) they would do it from below. I'll have to inquire with them to see which method they use as we are due for an oil change - the first one! and I figured I would do it myself as I've always serviced my own vehicles and motorcycles. My wife always took her TDI to VW for servicing but then again I didn't want to mess with diesel.

If you're doing your own change, what oil are you using? Are you getting oil and filters from the dealer or aftermarket?

Cheers

Just saw this thread.... http://www.golfalltrack.org/forum/threads/16-First-Oil-Change-on-the-Golf-Alltrack