Fitment: Anyone run 18x8 ET35?

asp125

Reactions
I have a set of "peelers" from my A4 that have a 35 offset. Anyone tried that size before? Particularly interested if there is a need to roll fenders on my Alltrack since the tire will be 10mm further out. FWIW I have 235/40-18 tires on it at the moment.

VWGALT

Reactions
I have a set of "peelers" from my A4 that have a 35 offset. Anyone tried that size before? Particularly interested if there is a need to roll fenders on my Alltrack since the tire will be 10mm further out. FWIW I have 235/40-18 tires on it at the moment.
Are you on stock suspension? It should fit as many folks are running that combo on other Golf types (Rs/GTIs, etc.) 35 will be pretty close to the edge. If you already have them, a test fit would be easy.

Reactions
If your Alltrack isn't lowered you should be fine. I've got my Alltrack lowered on Golf R springs and shocks so it sits a bit lower than a stock GTI. I run 15mm H&R hub centric spacer on rear and do have the slightest rub once and a while when my 18x8.5 et45 which equates to 30et but the tires are 245/40/18 I also have 18x8 et40 wheels which makes it et25 and they rub slightly too. My 3rd set of wheels 18x8 et41 with same15mm spacers and no rub go figure.
So even if you have a lowered Alltrack (like mine) you shouldn't rub and not need to roll fenders even with that tire size of 235.
The ruling issue like I said is very slight and only when I hit a large dip going at highway speed normally though it's not an issue. The side effect is wear on the plastic fender (the part that rolls under the fender).
If I could find a hub centric/wheel centric spacer of 10 or 12mm I'd run them though and I wouldn't have this issue at all.

Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack SE
I'm not sure if you ended up going with the 35 offset, but am looking at the same fitment and was wondering how it turned out for you if you did. Any photos?
I just picked up a '19 SE and am not quite ready to go in on any suspension modifications just yet. I'm hoping that upping it from 17x7 OEM wheels with the 42 offset and the OEM 205/55 Falken wheels to 18x8 with 35 offset and Michelen's Pilot Sport A/S 4's will give it an even more robust on-road handling.

Reactions
I'm running 18x8 et41ATS Cup Wheels with 15mm H&R spacers 225/45/18 Pirelli AND springs and shocks are stock Golf "R" so car is lower than stock by at least 1.75"-2"
No rubbing, no rolled fenders, bottom line you (should) be able to run 35et wheels w/o rubbing depends if car is lowered and how much, what size tire you want to run. I like the Golf R springs and shocks the car handles the way I like it's not harsh and the car feels AND is much more stable than with the stock springs and shocks Plus I like it lower than it was. As I mentioned before I did have very slight rubbing with my 18x8.5" 45et w/15mm H&R spacers but...larger than stock tires 245/40/18 but wasn't very often only larger than "normal" dips in highway. So I'd say it's a safe bet those 35et will work w/o any rubbing

Last edited:
Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack SE
I'm running 18x8 et41ATS Cup Wheels with 15mm H&R spacers 225/45/18 Pirelli AND springs and shocks are stock Golf "R" so car is lower than stock by at least 1.75"-2"
No rubbing, no rolled fenders, bottom line you (should) be able to run 35et wheels w/o rubbing depends if car is lowered and how much, what size tire you want to run. I like the Golf R springs and shocks the car handles the way I like it's not harsh and the car feels AND is much more stable than with the stock springs and shocks Plus I like it lower than it was. As I mentioned before I did have very slight rubbing with my 18x8.5" 45et w/15mm H&R spacers but...larger than stock tires 245/40/18 but wasn't very often only larger than "normal" dips in highway. So I'd say it's a safe bet those 35et will work w/o any rubbing
That's some excellent info. Much appreciated. I'm looking at 225/45ZR/18's, which I know is the OEM sizing for the Alltracks that came with 18" wheels. With the new offset, I would think I could even look at getting a wider set than that even.

Reactions
That's some excellent info. Much appreciated. I'm looking at 225/45ZR/18's, which I know is the OEM sizing for the Alltracks that came with 18" wheels. With the new offset, I would think I could even look at getting a wider set than that even.
Why go wider? What size are you thinking? I try to stay as close to stock circumference as possible so I don't throw speedo off and change final gearing. With my 18x8.5" wheels I chose to go with 245/40/18's because they fit the 8.5 wide wheels and a very close to the stock circumference, if I had gone with the stock 18" size 225/45's I would have got a little tire stretch which I didn't want, for your 18x8" wheels the 245/40's would look weird with the sidewalls bulging out too much and 235/45 would have a (too large of circumference) and 235/40 too small circumference. Golf GTI (and I assume reg Golf) run 225/40's but for our Alltrack"s the gearing is different I believe. Bottom line...If you don't mind throwing off your speedo a little and change the final gearing put on whatever you please. I'm just giving my 2 cents here. You can compare sizes and see the differences, I read and came to understand you should stay within a certain percent of the "stock" circumference which IIRC is 4%
Check This Out...https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Last edited:

DeeSnutts

Reactions
City
Chirpin Gears & Passin Queers
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 Alltrack SE
I'm also curious about 18x8s ET35 on 225/45s.

I wish this site had more traffic and people had more wheel and tire discussions.

Reactions
What do you need to know, 18x8 et35 will be fine if your concern is tire rub... as long as they aren't some sort of spoke design that could interfere with your brakes.
Are to looking at a particular wheel?

DeeSnutts

Reactions
City
Chirpin Gears & Passin Queers
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 Alltrack SE
Just would like to see where people rub into rubbing with Alltracks on GTI suspension. I want to get as wide of a tire as possible but I'm not sure about 245s. I'm shopping closeout AS3+'s so tire sizes are limited. Then there are all of the wheel choices out there- it's mind boggling, I've never bothered with aftermarket wheels on other vehicles.

Reactions
You should be fine with et35 wheels as I stated before the 245/40/18's on my 18x.8.5 et 41 with 15mm hub and lug centric spacers I do have minimal rub (very rarely) not enough to worry me plus I have Golf R springs and shocks which is a bit lower than GTI stock set-up so with this set-up 18x8.5 and 245/40/18 tires final et26 minimal rub zero rubbing on front w/o spacers. I still think 245's on 8" wide wheels would look kind of goofy but to each his own.
Actually there aren't that many choices concerning tire size IF you want to keep gear ratios stock and tire circumference close to stock, believe me I've researched it to death and for Alltracks stock 18" wheel there are only 225/45's and 245/40's I would consider now I know there's probably quite a few that run the GTI size of 225/40's and that's fine but I want to keep my stock ratios and rolling circumference.
I wish I knew how to post pictures here I could show you 18x8" with 225/45/18's vs 245/40/18's
You know I just thought that you might have a issue (maybe) with 245's rubbing against the shock on the rear
with 245's on 8" with et35 I know I was concerned with my 8.5" and 245's but the spacers gave me peace of mind.
I've been debating to get 12mm spacers for the rear pretty sure the rubbing would be gone, that would make the difference I"m sure (for my application). This site doesn't seem to get much traffic, have you tried other sites? I stay away from "vortex" too many smart@** comments