Anyone Have Solution for Constant Dirty Rear Window?

Reactions
I live in Wa. State...it rains a lot. The rear window get's wet/dirty ALL the time. I applied Rainx and it does help but wonder if there's something else (besides rainx and wiper) to help keep rear window cleaner, Like some sort of diffuser that would keep water from swirling up onto rear window. I bought the rear side spoilers for European Golf Variant (Wagon) but haven't installed yet as I'm going to have them painted body color first. I read they help a little but the issue seems to be from swirling water coming from under the car more than anything.
I don't like having to run rear wiper ALL the time.

Reactions
What does the rear spoiler look like?

RobynNJ

Reactions
I'm also curious to see if these side spoilers make any difference, though after finding a picture of them, I'm doubtful. I've been driving wagons and hatchbacks since I started driving and the rear windows just get dirty very quickly. It's just the aerodynamic nature of their (mostly) vertical back end.

The only one that doesn't is my '73 Volvo 1800ES, but that, while a "wagon", kind of comes to a point at the back end, rather than being vertical.

The only thing I can think of that would truly keep the rear window clear would be some sort of diffuser/spoiler, whatever you want to call it, along the top edge of the roof which would force a stream of air down along the surface of the glass. However, given the vortex that is created by the vertical back end, which pulls air (and dirt) back toward the back end of the car as you drive, it's possible that stream of air down along the glass might not be enough to overcome the force of the air being drawn back toward the car.

So until someone comes up with that million dollar idea, I just deal with having to wash the back window a bit more often. :)

Nokian

Reactions
[SUP]
[/SUP]The only thing I can think of that would truly keep the rear window clear would be some sort of diffuser/spoiler, whatever you want to call it, along the top edge of the roof which would force a stream of air down along the surface of the glass.
My 2003 Subaru Forester came with such a spoiler. It was a deal add-on, I think. It's not body colored, rather ugly and tacky looking, but it works reasonably well. I'm not with the car right now so no pictures.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
It's the "side rear" spoilers that are on sides of the rear window, pretty much the same as what the GTI has but it's for the Wagon and they are different part numbers. I bought mine from e-acca.com
Part number(s)...5G9 805 946 041, 5G9805 945 041
These come standard on the ROW Golf R Variant (Wagon).
I saw picture of them painted body color and if nothing else they make the rear of car look better. They come gloss black and are almost invisible if left that way. They cost around (including shipping) $120us which is about as cheap as I could find these being genuine VW parts.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I'm also curious to see if these side spoilers make any difference, though after finding a picture of them, I'm doubtful. I've been driving wagons and hatchbacks since I started driving and the rear windows just get dirty very quickly. It's just the aerodynamic nature of their (mostly) vertical back end.

The only one that doesn't is my '73 Volvo 1800ES, but that, while a "wagon", kind of comes to a point at the back end, rather than being vertical.

The only thing I can think of that would truly keep the rear window clear would be some sort of diffuser/spoiler, whatever you want to call it, along the top edge of the roof which would force a stream of air down along the surface of the glass. However, given the vortex that is created by the vertical back end, which pulls air (and dirt) back toward the back end of the car as you drive, it's possible that stream of air down along the glass might not be enough to overcome the force of the air being drawn back toward the car.

So until someone comes up with that million dollar idea, I just deal with having to wash the back window a bit more often. :)
I agree, someone needs to design a diverter/diffuser whether from the top OR bottom (or both), they'd probably need the use of a wind tunnel and doubtful that will happen anytime soon.
I wonder if GTI's have this same issue, does anyone know? Maybe there's something for the GTI that we could use on our Alltracks???

RobynNJ

Reactions
I agree, someone needs to design a diverter/diffuser whether from the top OR bottom (or both), they'd probably need the use of a wind tunnel and doubtful that will happen anytime soon.
I wonder if GTI's have this same issue, does anyone know? Maybe there's something for the GTI that we could use on our Alltracks???
Any vehicle with a vertical back end has the same problem. My MINI, my Volvo 850, my Grand Cherokee, my B3 Passat wagon... all suffered the same problem. The GTI is no different. My coworker just got a 2017 GTI recently and it also gets dirty really quickly.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Here's a link I found on another site with correct part numbers, how to and pictures: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217

It's the same parts I bought if I find the pics of the wagon with them painted body color I'll post it or when I get mine done.

To golfdave the person that posted at www.golfmk7.com THANK YOU, I'm sure many on this site will feel the same.

One last thing he states these side spoilers help keep it clean longer but window still gets dirty...just not as quickly.

Stupid me the picture of these painted on car is on the link I posted, just scroll down.

Last edited:

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Excellent find [MENTION=172]jsun98294[/MENTION], looking forward to some pictures.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Excellent find [MENTION=172]jsun98294[/MENTION], looking forward to some pictures.
Pictures on my car?...It'll be a while, going to wait for better weather, hopefully soon, here in the NW we can't seem to get more than one day of sun at a time. I might ask my daughters boyfriend to paint them his family has a paint/auto body shop.

RobynNJ

Reactions
Maybe I shouldn't have joined this site. Now I just ordered more parts for a car I don't even have yet. [giggle]

How well they actually work or not, I still have doubts, but I like the look. [thumb]

RL331

Reactions
I have them. They don?t seem to help a whole lot. I kept them black - not noticeable at all since the rear window has a black frit border anyway. Hard to see but it?s in this pic - they are stills from a video.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #13

The other thing I think that might work would be some sort of rear diffuser "below" the rear bumper to smooth the airflow but it would have to homemade and look trashy probably, and if it did work would probably be only marginally better. Perhaps a combination of the two? I've resigned it to "never gonna happen" category. So I agree wash more often. Doesn't bother me as much as running the rear wiper continuously if the road is wet at all
if you want to see out the back. This is one of my gripes about this car...I live in Wa. State and it rains a lot.