First Oil Change on the Golf Alltrack

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Who waited till 5k? And who got it changed around earlier for the first time?

Sleeper

Reactions
Finished my first oil change on the Alltrack. Car has 4483 miles. Skid guard has some 13 mm bolts and the standard star screws as well. Here's a pic of the guard. It's beefier than my Golf.

Pink: 13mm
Green: star screws

The rest is pretty straight forward. There are a ton of MK7/GTIGolf writeups.

I got 5.9qts out (drain) which was more than the 5.5 I expected. I put 5.7 back in (changed the filter also)

Last edited:

smurph

Reactions
Great info, Sleeper! Thanks!

smurph

Reactions
Those star screws are a Torx 25 (T-25).

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
I will be changing mine at 5k I think it has 3900 on it now I will be using an oem filter and drain plug and amsoil 5/40 euro blend oil. This is my 3rd mk7 so I?m pretty familiar with the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kapricorn

Reactions
I'm a bit confused about this talk of early oil change for Alltracks in the US and Canada after only 5k.
Is that a decision you guys have made yourselves or is it a mandatory service requirement because here in Australia the first service is after 12 months or 15,000km and the oil would be changed then.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
I'm a bit confused about this talk of early oil change for Alltracks in the US and Canada after only 5k.
Is that a decision you guys have made yourselves or is it a mandatory service requirement because here in Australia the first service is after 12 months or 15,000km and the oil would be changed then.
Just preference for me I don?t trust oil 10k miles especially the stuff they use at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Finished my first oil change on the Alltrack. Car has 4483 miles. Skid guard has some 13 mm bolts and the standard star screws as well. Here's a pic of the guard. It's beefier than my Golf.

Pink: 13mm
Green: star screws

The rest is pretty straight forward. There are a ton of MK7/GTIGolf writeups.

I got 5.9qts out (drain) which was more than the 5.5 I expected. I put 5.7 back in (changed the filter also)
The rest is pretty straight forward? I was told by VW service tech that MY 2017 Alltrack uses a metal threaded drain plug and crush washer, he was adamant about it. I told him I'd been looking at the required oil and filters and drain plugs to do a proper change and everywhere I looked on the web was selling the plastic corkscrew type drain plug with their oil change kits...who's right service tech or the web? I don't want to buy the wrong drain plug. I'd like to see a write-up (with pics) for our Alltracks not GTI or any other type. Mine is a 2017 Alltrack SEL. I'm thinking the service tech was wrong.
Do you have link to Alltrack 1.8t specific oil change procedure?

Reactions
Its straight forward. Remove skid plate. Youll see the plastic honeycomb looking oil pan. Towards the back youll see a plastic drain plug. I removed mines with a flat head screw driver. Theres a slot in the middle of the plug. Oil filter is changed in the engine bay by removing the housing. Did mines twice already. First at 1500 for the initial break in and just recently at 7500. I dont think it hurts to change it early. Especially if youre like me who drives a lot and is the car running idle in parking lots. Plus I work in the auto part business. Its like cheap insurance. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions
Its straight forward. Remove skid plate. Youll see the plastic honeycomb looking oil pan. Towards the back youll see a plastic drain plug. I removed mines with a flat head screw driver. Theres a slot in the middle of the plug. Oil filter is changed in the engine bay by removing the housing. Did mines twice already. First at 1500 for the initial break in and just recently at 7500. I dont think it hurts to change it early. Especially if youre like me who drives a lot and is the car running idle in parking lots. Plus I work in the auto part business. Its like cheap insurance. Hope this helps!
Thanks for confirming that our Alltracks use the plastic drain plug...I know what what needs to be done as far as oil change goes though, just got mixed message from dealership about type of drain plug. I'll be doing it myself now mainly because if the service tech didn't know what type of drain plug is used how can I rely on them for one of the simplest maintenance procedures on a VW?

Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack
I do all my cars at 5000 mi. Call me a dinosaur or super cynic but, claiming oil lasts 10,000+ mi pushes my skepticism button. I’m guessing the longer change interval is part marketing and part improvements to synthetic oils.

I‘m also thinking the companies just have to outlast the warranty by one day, so...

Bottom line is, 5,000 mi changes are cheap insurance.

TC

Miks7

Reactions
I change my oil frequently in my 1.8 TSI engine, I would never go to 10,000 miles to do so. Reading about the reliability of the VW 1.8TSI, it appears that the timing chain will stretch over time and will need to be replaced at 60,000 miles seems common. But here is the secret - I work at a GM store and see the GM V6 3.9 liter getting pulled out of the vehicles all the time. Asking about this, I am told by the technicians that this is caused by the extended oil change intervals, which then causes the check engine light on. They show me the interior of the engine, you can see sludge and that yellow dullness on a lot of internal components. I ask them - how often do they change oil? ALWAYS b 5,000 miles no matter what! Cheap insurance is what this is all about. If you change your oil frequently enough, I am sure the engine will go 150,000 without ever having an issue.