What do you think of the OEM Falken 205/55R17 tires ?

Lew Bob

Reactions
My 2017 Golf Alltrack came with the Falken Sincera SN250A A/S 205/55R17 tires. Everything on the Alltrack seems to have good or excellent materials except for the tires. Based on my experience with Falken tires in the past. I had a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that I put Falken tires on and within two years they developed flat spots. Had two replaced under warranty. Then the other two developed flat spots. Instead of arguing with the tire installer I just bought 4 new Michelins and never had a problem for the next 5 years.

Now with my brand new Alltrack I noticed a slight vibration above 70 mph. Took it to the dealer, 3 out of 4 tires did not pass on their force balancing machine. Probably because the car sat at the dealership for a long time. Dealer replaced tires with similar Falken tires. Is this a coincidence or are Falken tires inferior?

I also noticed the treadwear rating on my Falken tires are only 320, but on the Falken website Falken Sincera SN250 is listed as 720. Could Falken tires on VWs may be inferior quality or Falkens in general are a so-so tire?
The Sumitomo/Falken site doesn't even list our size! It also claims a 75,000 mile warranty, so there is something different about the tires on the Alltrack.

steel1

Reactions
My 2017 SEL also came with Falken 205/55/17...not impressed but it's a factory tire.
27k on the odometer tires rotated every 10k, 1 tire @ 3/32 , 2 @ 4/32, 1 @ 5/32.
Needless to say they aren't very many options at this size, I'll be looking to change
size for more availability.

OP
Arm&Hammer
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
Update on my '17 Alltrack with 5k miles and Falken tires:
Well couple of months ago VW came thru and replaced my car with a new 2019 because of the never ending sunroof leaks. At the end they were very good and just followed my state's lemon law. My new car is great not only because it's a new SEL without a sunroof leak, but it came with great Continental Pro Contact TX 225/45R18 tires. Wow what a difference in the tires, I noticed right away. With the lower profile I though I would get a harsher ride but on the contrary a smoother ride, no vibration at any speeds and quieter. Hate to compare but drives like a Caddilac. My old car's Falkens would develop flat spots if the car sat more than 2 weeks, it would go away after 10 minutes of driving but every time the first few minutes driving was a PIA. The Contis are a superior tire and the tread rating wear is much higher at 500. My driving pattern is the same as before but the Contis do not develop those annoying problems. Another feature that I like with the Contis are the extra rubber lip or ledge on the tire that protects the wheel rim so when parallel parking or rubbing the tire against a curb the wheel rim does not get scratched.

Reactions
Yeah those the Conti Pro Contact are good tires, I've purchased them in the past.
I'll be switching to 215/50/17 so I'll have better options for my 17.