What did you do to your Alltrack today?

Sandberg84

Reactions
Hi

I used the two par G2 paint I felt it was a bit glossier (if that is a word )than the one part paint (it was not POR-15) I did not have any trouble using two part paint and did not harden at all before I finished. Note I do put the car on jackstands and take all four wheels off.

I have done this multiple times on various cars and I never take them off the car. but I only want them to look red with the wheels on. I paint the front and the part of the caliper that faces the rear of the car but not the part that is facing the inside. So even with the wheels off they look red but if you pulled the calipers you would see the whole caliper is not red.

one other note I painted my calipers as soon as I could less than 200 miles and it turned out fabulous as the calipers were clean when I started and that seemed to make a big difference compared to painting cars with a lot of mileage.

RobynNJ

Reactions
Thanks. I've only ever painted the calipers on the MINI and I think I may have used G2. Sounds familiar. Held up great for years but at 15 years it has started to flake off in spots, though I will admit I was never fanatical about pulling the wheels off to clean the calipers. I did take the a calipers off when I did the MINI and I did find the two-part system started to get gummy before I finished.

Think I'm going to give the POR-15 a shot on the Alltrack. Have had excellent results with POR-15 products in other applications so expect their caliper paint will be extremely durable as well.

Sandberg84

Reactions
Good Luck I have also heard good things about POR-15 just have not used it myself

OP
bigdecals

bigdecals

Reactions
Thread Starter #24
Thanks. I've only ever painted the calipers on the MINI and I think I may have used G2. Sounds familiar. Held up great for years but at 15 years it has started to flake off in spots, though I will admit I was never fanatical about pulling the wheels off to clean the calipers. I did take the a calipers off when I did the MINI and I did find the two-part system started to get gummy before I finished.

Think I'm going to give the POR-15 a shot on the Alltrack. Have had excellent results with POR-15 products in other applications so expect their caliper paint will be extremely durable as well.
Hi RobynNJ, Por-15 is a great product. That being said the preparation steps are crucial to a lasting finish. Doing the cleaning & prep prior to topcoat will give you a very durable coating. Also, use gloves as since this is a moisture cure paint any excess on your skin will be there for a while if not cleaned off immediately!
Upload photos when completed so we can see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobynNJ

Reactions
Hi RobynNJ, Por-15 is a great product. That being said the preparation steps are crucial to a lasting finish. Doing the cleaning & prep prior to topcoat will give you a very durable coating. Also, use gloves as since this is a moisture cure paint any excess on your skin will be there for a while if not cleaned off immediately!
Upload photos when completed so we can see!
Thanks! I'm quite familiar with the prep required for POR-15 products. I've used their engine enamel, rust preventive paint, and chassis black paint on my classic Volvo with great results that have held up very well for about 10 years now.

Happy to post pictures, but you'll be waiting a while. I haven't even gotten notification yet that my car has begun production. Sigh...

Anon1

Reactions
Preparing for Summer here in upstate NY, if it ever arrives...

Window tinting is next. [thumb]

Reactions
i am wishing for a steering wheel like the one on my 2011 jetta sportwagen tdi...the alltrack's is too thin. suggestions for having mine redone? not up to doing the work myself.
I strongly suggest if you want a "quality" steering wheel check this seller out on ebay: ledermanz he modifies stock steering wheels that are as good as stock or any aftermarket "think MOMO" that I have ever seen. I bought one from him and I'll miss it when I sell my Mk4 Jetta.
He's in Latvia, and he ships very quick, the steering wheels he sells are not cheap but well worth the money you'll just have to keep checking his site or even message him with what you want and he could probably make one for you just how you want. I myself will probably be contacting him
to do just what I described. He's got 100% positive feed back, he mods the top European brands, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, VW and the like.

jlbay

Reactions
City
KANSAS CITY
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf AllTrack SEL
Mud flaps

I installed the factory OEM flaps....they help somewhat. Less debris on the body cladding but not perfect.
I put them on this weekend as well as a Draw-Tite hitch receiver. I had them on my last Golf to protect bikes on the hitch rack. Now I’m thinking I want wheel spacers. Who’s got good information on what to get?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/alltrack-flush-kit-18-oem-wheels/022402ecs02kt/

This looks easy to piece together.

Attachments

Reactions