Engine Coolant Question

Harrigan

Reactions
Hey Alltrackers,
Have an 18 SEL Alltrack. Liking it more and more over time... but this week the engine coolant light came on twice when it was cold outside. I checked the level and sure enough, it's a little low. Seems a bit strange considering the car has less than 13000 miles on it, but I thought I'd top it up. Manual says G13 coolant is needed... which I cannot find in local automotive stores. G40 is there, which is a pre-diluted version of G12++. The bottle says VW 2006 and above or something like that, but I'm reluctant to mix coolants since (according to the web) one is glycol-based and one is glycerin-based... and both are 'full life' coolants that require flushing.

Advice? Should I just head to the dealer, or does G12++ work? I've found conflicting info about it online...

JimSBR

Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Q5 Premium Plus
Typically it is the water in the coolant that evaporates with time and not the chemicals in it. It is not unusual to have to top it up over the course of time, certainly over the course of 13,000 miles. Just add distilled water (not tap) to the reservoir.

-Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
H

Harrigan

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Well, it's already had one service (~8000 miles) when they topped everything up is all.

OP
H

Harrigan

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Took it for service -- there was a coolant leak.