Engine sounds like a TDI while at idle

Miks7

Reactions
I think this is normal, but thought I would check to see if anyone has the same condition. While at an intersection waiting on a red light, does anyone notice a sound from the engine that you SWEAR you are driving a diesel? Sound goes away once driving. I found a YouTube video with another 1.8 liter at idle and it sounded similar to mine.

Anyone have any experience with this at the dealer?

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Yup mine sounds like a diesel when I first start it up and at idle. I think the noise is normal for these direct-injection motors.

OP
M

Miks7

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Mike...I figured with 308 miles on the clock, that this is a normal sound, it just seems like they would have made that idle a little quieter. As long as it is nothing mechanical, I can live with it. I Googled this and received some hits with respect to the fuel system return valve that clicks with this same sound, but I don't think this is what is happening, I think it has to do with the direct injection head.

I think German engineering is always sort of weird. Riding BMW motorcycles for a few years, the term "strangely strange but abnormally normal" is how the phrase went.

Thanks for sharing your experience. By the way, how many miles on your Alltrack?

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I have a little over 3k miles on mine.

Reactions
I just bought one. I brought it back to the dealer to ask about the TDI-like feel at idle and when approaching a stop at 2 to 3 mph. I thought it was strange. The mechanc said they did could not replicate it. I was not able to be there. I've been driving it for a few more days and it still has that feel and sound at idle and at very low speed. Not sure if it wil lead to any issues. I wil check back regularly in case anyone has comes up with additional insight.

Glad to hear that I am no tthe only one with this experience.

OP
M

Miks7

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
That noise is normal

I have done more research INCLUDING listening to a video that the salesperson had sent me on another Alltrack, and you can hear the engine clacking as he opened the hood while idling. It is sort of strange they (VW) didn't try to isolate that noise a little more, but it is normal on these model vehicles.

IanN25

Reactions
I have done more research INCLUDING listening to a video that the salesperson had sent me on another Alltrack, and you can hear the engine clacking as he opened the hood while idling. It is sort of strange they (VW) didn't try to isolate that noise a little more, but it is normal on these model vehicles.
Could you please share that video? I've been experience of clicking, almost sounds like a diesel engine when I'm at very low speeds. Wanted to compare sounds. Thanks.

Reactions
Here is the video link. At the beginning and at the end, you can hear the TDI sound big time.

http://www.covideo.com/v/6aSPBbSnOk
I listened to that video and honestly didn't hear what has been described, I too think the engine sound is a bit loud but I don't think it's anything to be worried about at all. When I first read your post I thought it was much more pronounced like maybe you were low on oil or something..speaking of oil keep an eye on it appears some of these 1.8L use oil more than you would think. VW says up to ONE Quart in 1000mi. is within spec!

OP
M

Miks7

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I listened to that video and honestly didn't hear what has been described, I too think the engine sound is a bit loud but I don't think it's anything to be worried about at all. When I first read your post I thought it was much more pronounced like maybe you were low on oil or something..speaking of oil keep an eye on it appears some of these 1.8L use oil more than you would think. VW says up to ONE Quart in 1000mi. is within spec!
Hmmm, perhaps your speakers aren't clear enough, as it definitely sounds like a certain clacking coming from the engine. Oil level is fine, mine doesn't burn a teaspoon of oil between oil changes.

Arm&Hammer

Reactions
I agree all these 1.8T have a slight pinging or rattling sound like a diesel engine due to the direct injection. I test drove 3 different Alltracks before I bought mine and some were louder than others. However, the outside temperature on start up may have an effect on the sound.

I tested hundreds of cars in the past and some direct injection engines seem louder than others. I believe the 2004 Isuzu Axiom was the first DI gasoline engine sold in the US. Also some older Honda CRV direct injection engines sound very much like a diesel engine, unlike the smooth sound of most Honda engines.

Maybe over time we will all get used to the sound.

OP
M

Miks7

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Yes...I noted when I first bought the car that there was a chatter at idle. After a while, I forgot all about it with an occasional time that I hear it again as my senses change from day to day. It is weird that VW doesn't stop the chatter by putting sound deadening material in the area that this occurs. I had a Kawasaki motorcycle that when I pulled the valve cover off, it had an insert that was bolted inside the head that was a sound deadening materials, and was told the valves clattered like a chicken coop until they put the noise reduction piece in this location.