New Paltz
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 VW Alltrack TSI
Hey all,

After 3 years of trying to convince my father to tune his Alltrack, he finally agreed to it. :)

Since he got it we have hated the throttle response delay and wanted a bit more power.
We still want to be able to run 87.

We are looking at getting the APR Plus or Stage 1 and the APR TCU.

Does anyone with the TSI model have either or both of these tunes?
Does the APR tune void the original warranty even if it's done at the dealer?
(The salesman we spoke to when buying the car said it wouldn't affect the warranty if done at a dealer....)

What are your experiences with APR tunes?
Did you have the dealer install the tunes or DIY?
Is there a better tuning company than APR?

Any helpful information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions
City
Beaverton, OR
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 AllTrack S
Hi there! 2017 AllTrack DSG with the APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. I know the exact feeling you’re talking about, because I had it too! Here’s everything you need to know.

The pedal feel you are looking for is best done through coding in OBDEleven/VCDS or installing a pedal controller.

The coding option is “Throttle Response - Direct” and removes *some* of the lurching hesitation. The latest OBDEleven dongle should be about $100 from a reputable site like BMP Tuning or USP Motorsports. I did this and it was a noticeable improvement while stock but did not entirely eliminate the problem.

The pedal controller will give more immediate throttle control and also removes the lurching crawl when you lift your foot off the brake and put it on the gas. I haven’t looked into these but I’ve seen great reviews on these for AllTrack owners.

—These next two options are worth it in their own regard but if you have some extra cash lying around I’d try one of the above two options first. Those two also work with the two below, so they’re not a total waste if you decide to do both. I did the OBDEleven coding first and an APR tune later, but have also used my OBDEleven for auto-open windows with the key fob, hot country mode for quicker and colder AC, and sequential rear turn signals. Worth it.

Third option is a JB4 “piggyback tune”. This bolt on tuner will change the air and fuel ratios like a tune would, and has several preloaded tunes to switch between based on what kind of driving you’re doing. This option is removable and easy to revert back to stock for dealer maintenance. I haven’t done this as I prefer traditional tunes, but this option comes highly recommended by the community.

Lastly, we have the APR, UniTronic, Integrated Engineering, and other brands for off the shelf traditional tunes. These are a “permanent until flashed back to stock” option that requires no additional hardware to install and uninstall (unlike the JB4), aside from needing an authorized dealer to flash it or buying a dongle to flash it at home. These are the most trusted option for performance gains and can also add things like Launch Control and displaying what gear you’re in on the dash while not in tiptronic/manual mode.

My comment on tunes and their relationship with dealers is this: some allow it, some don’t, *better safe than sorry*. Some VW dealers are APR authorized dealers as well and will flash it when you buy it and cover repairs for things that went wrong due to the tune. On the flip side, some dealers will see it has been tuned (even if you flash back to stock, there’s a record of it), and deny warranty claims by blaming it on the tune. That being said I absolutely adore my APR tune and it has been consistent and reliable for me for over a year now. However, I got it because I wanted to go fast and it is now legitimately fast. It has a comparable feel to a stock GTI now that it’s tuned. Something to consider for those inexperienced with fast cars, as this may not be something you want.

Here’s the ideal option for APR and warranty if that’s the path you choose: APR+ is a stage 1 tune that also includes a warranty “replacement”. APR takes over the remaining length of your warranty and covers repairs the same way while you are tuned. It’s a bit more expensive but guarantees you will continue to have a warranty if the dealer decides to deny you.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zbike27

Reactions
City
New Paltz
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 VW Alltrack TSI
Thread Starter #3
Hi there! 2017 AllTrack DSG with the APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. I know the exact feeling you’re talking about, because I had it too! Here’s everything you need to know.

The pedal feel you are looking for is best done through coding in OBDEleven/VCDS or installing a pedal controller.

The coding option is “Throttle Response - Direct” and removes *some* of the lurching hesitation. The latest OBDEleven dongle should be about $100 from a reputable site like BMP Tuning or USP Motorsports. I did this and it was a noticeable improvement while stock but did not entirely eliminate the problem.

The pedal controller will give more immediate throttle control and also removes the lurching crawl when you lift your foot off the brake and put it on the gas. I haven’t looked into these but I’ve seen great reviews on these for AllTrack owners.

—These next two options are worth it in their own regard but if you have some extra cash lying around I’d try one of the above two options first. Those two also work with the two below, so they’re not a total waste if you decide to do both. I did the OBDEleven coding first and an APR tune later, but have also used my OBDEleven for auto-open windows with the key fob, hot country mode for quicker and colder AC, and sequential rear turn signals. Worth it.

Third option is a JB4 “piggyback tune”. This bolt on tuner will change the air and fuel ratios like a tune would, and has several preloaded tunes to switch between based on what kind of driving you’re doing. This option is removable and easy to revert back to stock for dealer maintenance. I haven’t done this as I prefer traditional tunes, but this option comes highly recommended by the community.

Lastly, we have the APR, UniTronic, Integrated Engineering, and other brands for off the shelf traditional tunes. These are a “permanent until flashed back to stock” option that requires no additional hardware to install and uninstall (unlike the JB4), aside from needing an authorized dealer to flash it or buying a dongle to flash it at home. These are the most trusted option for performance gains and can also add things like Launch Control and displaying what gear you’re in on the dash while not in tiptronic/manual mode.

My comment on tunes and their relationship with dealers is this: some allow it, some don’t, *better safe than sorry*. Some VW dealers are APR authorized dealers as well and will flash it when you buy it and cover repairs for things that went wrong due to the tune. On the flip side, some dealers will see it has been tuned (even if you flash back to stock, there’s a record of it), and deny warranty claims by blaming it on the tune. That being said I absolutely adore my APR tune and it has been consistent and reliable for me for over a year now. However, I got it because I wanted to go fast and it is now legitimately fast. It has a comparable feel to a stock GTI now that it’s tuned. Something to consider for those inexperienced with fast cars, as this may not be something you want.

Here’s the ideal option for APR and warranty if that’s the path you choose: APR+ is a stage 1 tune that also includes a warranty “replacement”. APR takes over the remaining length of your warranty and covers repairs the same way while you are tuned. It’s a bit more expensive but guarantees you will continue to have a warranty if the dealer decides to deny you.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for all the great info! This helped a lot.

It's nice to know we're not the only ones who were looking for ways to solve the hesitation.
Would you say most of the hesitation is gone or mostly gone?

We ordered up an OBDEleven Pro today. I can't wait to mess with some of the other one-touch features.

We are going to opt into the APR+ for the powertrain warranty and the TCU tune as well.

Were actually looking forward to a bit more power and a sportier feel.

Thanks again.

Reactions
City
Beaverton, OR
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 AllTrack S
Thanks for all the great info! This helped a lot.

It's nice to know we're not the only ones who were looking for ways to solve the hesitation.
Would you say most of the hesitation is gone or mostly gone?

We ordered up an OBDEleven Pro today. I can't wait to mess with some of the other one-touch features.

We are going to opt into the APR+ for the powertrain warranty and the TCU tune as well.

Were actually looking forward to a bit more power and a sportier feel.

Thanks again.
I’d say do the coding with OBDEleven first and see how you feel. If I were to out numbers on things, I’d say the OBDEleven coding solved about 70% of the problem. The APR ECU+TCU solved the other 30%.

APR+ is truly the most high-end option and is a real game changer for warranties. Well worth the cost for the additional peace of mind if you’re only planning on going Stage 1. If you have the money, it’s the option I’d always recommend so long as owning a decently fast car is okay with you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Tracking, Autocrossing & Dragstrip 5
M General Automotive Discussions 8