When did you perform the first oil change?

When did you perform the first oil change?

• 1,000 Miles

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 2,000 Miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3,000 Miles

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 4,000 Miles

• 5,000 Miles

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 6,000 Miles

• 7,000 Miles

• 8,000 Miles

• 9,000 Miles

• 10,000 Miles

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
I know some people like to change their FIRST oil early or stick with the suggested interval. Curious to know where you guys stand in terms of oil change.

Reactions
I'm leaving mine until the suggested interval. Mind you it will be the first new vehicle I've let go past 6 months without new oil.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Plan to do mine a little early.

Reactions
I haven't yet, but in the last few days when I turn mine off a reminder in the instrument cluster is counting down days it now says 28 days to recommended oil change...I've got about 1200 miles on odometer!
Just wondering if everyone else has had this and ignored it or changed out original oil and gone from there. Is this part of break in period type of thing?

Wegz80

Reactions
Car is suggesting it after 8000 miles and about 8 months of ownership. Not sure on what kind of oil to use or how to reset the computer...

Reactions
I haven't yet, but in the last few days when I turn mine off a reminder in the instrument cluster is counting down days it now says 28 days to recommended oil change...I've got about 1200 miles on odometer!
Just wondering if everyone else has had this and ignored it or changed out original oil and gone from there. Is this part of break in period type of thing?
Update: I called a VW dealer (Pignataro) and spoke to service rep, he said that the reminder was set around time of production and because it's a 2017 the reminder shows up (early for my New car). He said to disregard and I could bring into dealer and have reset (for free)
Also, he told me that it's best to change around 5,000mi NOT VW's recommended 10,000mi. I was surprised he told me that, I would have thought a VW dealer would stand behind the VW recommended oil change interval of 10,000mi.

Reactions
READ your owners manual starting on page 342 for oil type instead of asking here, you may get bad info. But basically Spec 502 full synthetic SAE 5w-30, or SAE 5w-40.
8,000 mi? I would say you're due for oil change. IMO One thing I've found out recently is it's almost mandatory to check your oil level on a regular basis as many of these 1.8L engines use oil. VW claims it's within their spec if engine uses up to a quart every 1,000mi. Which is ridiculous.
I think it depends a lot on how you drive, if your the type that likes to drive hard (hi revs) you'll probably be more likely to use more oil than someone that drives easier.

Wegz80

Reactions

Arm&Hammer

Reactions
Very timely question.
I just bought my first VW and had the same question. Build date on my car is 4/17 and the reminder message just came on with 480 miles on the car. I'm assuming our cars also have a one year timer for the oil change interval . I'm going to disregard it and change it this summer.

Got a good deal with some negotiation since it sat at the dealership for 10 months. Everything is great about the car so far except for the Falken tires that were out of round/flat spots, probably because it sat so long without moving. Dealer was nice they replaced.

Reactions
Very timely question.
I just bought my first VW and had the same question. Build date on my car is 4/17 and the reminder message just came on with 480 miles on the car. I'm assuming our cars also have a one year timer for the oil change interval . I'm going to disregard it and change it this summer.

Got a good deal with some negotiation since it sat at the dealership for 10 months. Everything is great about the car so far except for the Falken tires that were out of round/flat spots, probably because it sat so long without moving. Dealer was nice they replaced.
I just called dealership to find out what weight oil is in my car he said "SAE 5w-40" from the factory and that's what they use here Wa. Also they charge $79 for oil change so after tax about $88. I saw ecs tuning sells a oil change kit for $64 or so (6qts. oil ,filter, O-ring and oil drain plug) so I'll probably have dealer do oil change because after shipping and (maybe tax) from ecs tuning $75 maybe? it 's worth for me to have dealer do it for a few dollars more. Plus I get free car wash!
But I want to buy a quart of oil to have in back of car just in case I need to add between oil changes. I got a flyer with all the paperwork (owners manual and what-not) that VW recommends Castrol Edge Professional the local auto parts around here don't carry it just the Castrol Edge And Edge Titanium) Spec: 502.00
As far as resetting the oil change reminder he said he could maybe "walk me thu it" he said that they (2017) have different infotainment systems even though I told him I have a SEL I got the impression he wanted me to bring the car in. We tried once over the phone and I couldn't find section he was telling me to select. So either I put up with reminder every time I start car or go in to have them reset.
I'm wondering if there's a selection for dash readout that will show mileage (odometer) while driving instead of only being able to see it when I turn car off or turn on ignition I'm sure there is a way just haven't explored it yet. Right now I just have readout from last fill-up (trip odometer) that's displayed all the time.

Reactions
I'm wondering if there's a selection for dash readout that will show mileage (odometer) while driving instead of only being able to see it when I turn car off or turn on ignition I'm sure there is a way just haven't explored it yet. Right now I just have readout from last fill-up (trip odometer) that's displayed all the time.
Is your cruise control on? Odometer display gets replaced with CC setting info when CC is on. Turn off CC and you can see ODO all the time.

Dan Pfeiffer

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
I just picked up my alltrack 17 se with 300 miles on it at 2900 now will be changing at 5k with amsoil euro blend 5/40 with oem filter. I use this in all of my VAG products. Anyone interested in amsoil I am a dealer and will sell to you guys on the forums for cost plus s shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aleccso

Reactions
I was told to bring it back for an oil change in a year or 15000 km / 9300 miles

Reactions
Is your cruise control on? Odometer display gets replaced with CC setting info when CC is on. Turn off CC and you can see ODO all the time.

Dan Pfeiffer
Yep, that was it stupid me, I'd been driving around for awhile now (from the time I bought it) with CC (ACC) on but usually not active. I've been intimidated by the 400+ page owners manual and never looked it up.

VWGALT

Reactions
Will be doing my first at 5k
Ditto on that. Dealer is also giving first oil change/fluid check free. They also said that the intervals were higher (10K), but still recommend 5K and use synth oil.

Reactions
Ditto on that. Dealer is also giving first oil change/fluid check free. They also said that the intervals were higher (10K), but still recommend 5K and use synth oil.
Kind of strange that most dealers say (candidly, UN-officially, just between you & me) 5,000mi but VAG states 10,000mi. Even most if not all VW tuner shops say 5,000mi. I've always done oil changes at 5,000 anyway (with Synthetic Oil of course)
Hope you're checking oil level, I do and have noticed a little loss at almost 4,000mi maybe a 1/3rd of qt. Apparently some or all these engines use a bit of oil, which really disturbs me my previous VW's (non-turbo) never used any. For this relatively NEW car I expect better.
I think I saw somewhere that VAG states 1qt per 1,000mi is within their spec...can you imagine that? That's like almost like doing oil change in between oil changes. Hope it never gets to that. I think a lot has to do with how you drive, drive it hard I expect you'll use more oil.

VWGALT

Reactions
Kind of strange that most dealers say (candidly, UN-officially, just between you & me) 5,000mi but VAG states 10,000mi. Even most if not all VW tuner shops say 5,000mi. I've always done oil changes at 5,000 anyway (with Synthetic Oil of course)
Hope you're checking oil level, I do and have noticed a little loss at almost 4,000mi maybe a 1/3rd of qt. Apparently some or all these engines use a bit of oil, which really disturbs me my previous VW's (non-turbo) never used any. For this relatively NEW car I expect better.
I think I saw somewhere that VAG states 1qt per 1,000mi is within their spec...can you imagine that? That's like almost like doing oil change in between oil changes. Hope it never gets to that. I think a lot has to do with how you drive, drive it hard I expect you'll use more oil.
Thanks for the info about checking oil early/often. I wouldn't think this car/engine would use much, at least this early on, but we'll see. I had an old Golf that used about a quart every 5K, but that was after 100K miles.

I also think VW uses this as a way to sell more cars that require less maintenance. Audi used to do this (and still may), where the first 30 or 40K was maintenance free, but oil changes were every 10K and it basically covered only one major service.

Overall, I'm liking this car and hope it will be a long-term/high mileage ride. I have some mods planned, but will do most as things wear out, if I can wait that long. :)