VW OEM splash guard install for 2017 Alltrack, new

Dannyo

Reactions
Anyone ever install splash guards on a 2017 Golf Alltrack? I purchased the kit and am having difficulty removing the black plastic plate behind the front end wheel wells. Instructions not really clear, only pictures! TIA

VWFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
[video=youtube;RoZ7T-ajo4Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZ7T-ajo4Q[/video]

OP
D

Dannyo

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks VWFan....but that's not the plastic plate I'm looking at. It sits behind both front wheel wells and must be removed to
attach the bottom of the splash guards I purchased. They are probably 8X10 in size and has just 1 screw and tabs to secure.
It attaches with one small screw and multiple tabs and is about 8X10 in size. I for the life of me can't see how it comes out. The
instructions say to remove screw and then kind of rotate out of it's position.Nothing on the web or youtube. Anyone else have an idea? 3 images attached give you an idea of wherre I'm talking about, behind front wheel wells.....
IMG_0930.JPG IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0927.JPG

Last edited:

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Are you installing mud flaps?

OP
D

Dannyo

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yes. OEM VW Splash Guards....MUD FLAPS....

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Yes. OEM VW Splash Guards....MUD FLAPS....
I just ran out side and looked at my car for reference. I've even removed the screw and you're right it doesn't come out easy. I think there are some hidden tabs thats locking it in place because mine didn't budge. Can you post a picture of the instructions?

OP
D

Dannyo

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Here ya go...hope u can zoom for a better look. Instructions are a little vague. Says to remove 1 screw then pull down. Tried and it seems as if there is still something holding it it place......

Attachments

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
If you are talking #8 it doesn't tell you to remove the piece, just pull it back. I think that's where the top part of the of the mud flap slides in (Figure 1).

Reactions
You'll notice another tongue up where the screw was removed. Pull that down and twist. It comes off relatively easy.
The second pic is one of the 3 twist off clips.

OP
D

Dannyo

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
The mud flap doesn't have an angled piece like the one in your pic that would suggest that. Take another look if you could and you will
see what the actual flaps look like. I have removed the screw and attempted to pull back the plate to add the nuts to the screws as in pic #9 to accomplish that but you cant pull that plastic piece back enoough without possible bending the plate and destroying it.

Attachments

OP
D

Dannyo

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
thanks Winchy.......do u have to sqeeze those two clips to bring the plastic plate down?

Reactions
No, theyre not able to be squeezed. Just be rough with it.
Once you have it off, youll see elongated slots to insert the clips and slide it back into position.
That's only for the bottom plate. I don't have mud flaps, so I can't help on that.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dannyo

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thanks, I'll give it a try.......

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Got it. Looks like [MENTION=9]Winchy[/MENTION] came through with the answer.

The mud flap doesn't have an angled piece like the one in your pic that would suggest that. Take another look if you could and you will
see what the actual flaps look like. I have removed the screw and attempted to pull back the plate to add the nuts to the screws as in pic #9 to accomplish that but you cant pull that plastic piece back enoough without possible bending the plate and destroying it.

OP
D

Dannyo

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Thnaks!!! Just don't want to force it and break the plastic....

Reactions
I've found VW trim clips are very robust. You feel like they'll break and the sound of the trim coming off is horrible, but I've never broken one.

Reactions
But those are NOT clips, and they do break.....luckily I broke the one closet to the screw. They are not designed to snap in and out.
They are tabs that slide into a keyhole like slot. Remove the one screw and there are a few tabs that need to be depressed allowing the entire piece to slide towards the rear.
There is a handhold designed to grasp but it is better suited for sliding the piece back on into place.

Attachments

e9er

Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Alltrack
I had the factory flaps installed and I hate them .I had an 08 Jetta wagon that I installed them on and they looked way nicer.These look like they came off a cheap Chevy sedan and at 250.00 to boot. I ordered a set off ebay and I'll post pictures of both installed. Tim

e9er

Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Alltrack
I installed the 14.00 flaps made in China and what a difference in looks! Now after removing the factory 250.00 ones I’m going to Reinstall them on the front wheel wells. Pictures to come.

Attachments

Last edited: