Volkswagen Golf Alltrack vs. Subaru Outback

Reactions

If you have even a slight anti-SUV mindset and miss the wagons of yore, like the spirited Audi A4 and Acura TSX wagons, we suggest checking out the Volkswagen Golf Alltrack and Subaru Outback. These modern wagons combine extroverted styling with all-weather traction, respectable fuel economy, and packaging versatility, conceding precious little to similarly priced SUVs.

Although the Outback has led that anti-SUV brigade for several model generations, the Golf Alltrack debuted just in 2016. With its burly stance, the Alltrack does its best to look like a small-SUV alternative and attract outdoor thrill seekers. It comes with body cladding on the bumpers and fender flares, as well as a slight increase in ground clearance. All-wheel drive is standard. Considering the VW?s European lineage, the Alltrack is an intriguing counter to the widely sold Outback.

Because of their similarities, choosing the right one for you can be challenging. As with all comparisons, each wagon has its strengths and weaknesses.

Read more on Consumer Reports.

Reactions
The Outback is significantly bigger...almost ten inches longer. It is also a couple of inches wider and almost six inches taller. For my purposes, the Alltrack was a perfect size as my daughter has a tight turn into a small garage with a massive F-150 parked next to it.

Reactions
I had the pleasure of owning a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 for 2 years and it was a very nice vehicle. The Alltrack is just a much better suited car for me and that's why I bought a 2019 with a manual. It's quicker, more fun to drive, and very comfortable. The Subaru was larger but I don't need the extra space. I've only done light off-roading with both cars and they are comparable at that level. Both cars are great on the highway but I definitely prefer the VW Infotainment system and control placement on the VW. Both good cars, but I love the Alltrack and don't regret it...