Buick Regal TourX vs. Subaru Outback 3.6R vs. Volkswagen Golf Alltrack

moreles

Reactions
These guys cant be serious. They make it sound like sitting in the Golf is like riding on a bed of nails. I find it to be an excellent blend of Comfort / handling / performance and refinement.

Sailby2

Reactions
These guys cant be serious. They make it sound like sitting in the Golf is like riding on a bed of nails. I find it to be an excellent blend of Comfort / handling / performance and refinement.
I read this article the other day and came away with the notion that the writers were biased towards the cars before their review. I have not driven the Buick so I can't comment on the ride quality/comfort. I have however, driven my Alltrack 4000 miles so I feel pretty confident that I know it's true nature. The Alltrack for me represents a good all around compromise with some pluses and minuses.

Where the Alltrack puts the Buick away is the price. The Buick is a very good car but frankly, the real-world price puts it way above the other two test cars. Sort of comparing 2 different classes of vehicles in my opinion. My guess is if I go to my local Buick dealer, he'll be hard pressed to offer any real discounts or deals. On the other hand, VW made my decision to buy an Alltrack easier with big rebates and dealer discounts.

Reactions
I read this article the other day and came away with the notion that the writers were biased towards the cars before their review. I have not driven the Buick so I can't comment on the ride quality/comfort. I have however, driven my Alltrack 4000 miles so I feel pretty confident that I know it's true nature. The Alltrack for me represents a good all around compromise with some pluses and minuses.

Where the Alltrack puts the Buick away is the price. The Buick is a very good car but frankly, the real-world price puts it way above the other two test cars. Sort of comparing 2 different classes of vehicles in my opinion. My guess is if I go to my local Buick dealer, he'll be hard pressed to offer any real discounts or deals. On the other hand, VW made my decision to buy an Alltrack easier with big rebates and dealer discounts.
I completely agree with you the writer is completely biased.

As for discounts at Buick dealers, there's plenty of them. When my father was SUV shopping, we test drove the Enclave which was a very nice car, dealers were giving us pricing below invoice.

moreles

Reactions
Agreed. Plus the Alltrack is a physically much smaller car, being at least a foot shorter and a few hundred pounds lighter than the other 2 cars. Pity the journalists display their bias so openly.

Nokian

Reactions
They write,
“Unacceptable chattering on rough pavement,” Detroit editor Alisa Priddle said. Added Evans: “You don’t just feel every bump and crack in the pavement. You at times feel the very grain of the asphalt itself.” The rough ride would be acceptable on a Golf R but not so much on versatile do-it-all wagon. "

My 2017 SE is at 20,000 miles and rides extremely well. Everyone who has ridden with us comments on the ride quality, and that includes a friend who is a lifle-long Subaru fan, and who owns 2 Outbacks. I'm guessing that MotorTrend probably had the tire pressures up at 50psi+ range and or their sorry Detroit editor has a most delicate rump!