LED conversion for rear hatch/cargo area

Reactions
All the interior illumination in my S is LED except the rear. The dim, yellow incandescent is out of place. So I replaced with an LED bulb. But when it is turned off, still dimly lid.
Not enough load or current draw I guess for the circuit to fully open, possibly solid state switching. Are the SE and SEL the same? Or do they have an LED module? Anyone know of a festoon LED that won't do this? Do the Can Bus bulbs correct this issue?

Reactions
I did change mine too of my 2017 Alltrack SE.. it’s slightly lit but after a few minute when you turn off engine it’s totally off.. so far it didn’t give my any troubles yet ... I bought the LED bulb at Walmart last year ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Are they much brighter than stock?

Reactions
Yes.. not blinding bright but you can tell the difference and see much better.. doesn’t flicker which is good...

Reactions
I kind of wish they came with LED from the factory.

Reactions
All the interior illumination in my S is LED except the rear. The dim, yellow incandescent is out of place. So I replaced with an LED bulb. But when it is turned off, still dimly lid.
Not enough load or current draw I guess for the circuit to fully open, possibly solid state switching. Are the SE and SEL the same? Or do they have an LED module? Anyone know of a festoon LED that won't do this? Do the Can Bus bulbs correct this issue?

Reactions
I have a 2017 Alltrack SE the boot has incandescent bulb so I bought an LED replacement , when I just turned off the car it’s dimly lit but when the car is totally off/ parked , LED is completely off... so far it didn’t cause any trouble ... it’s been over a year since I installed it ...

Blip6to2

Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack S, 6MT
I wanted to update this thread with my findings. I too thought it was off putting to see that the whole interior was led lighting except for the glovebox and the hatch area. So I ordered the led bulb equivalents for both. I ran into the issue also of the rear hatch light staying dimly lit when the door is shut. I realize this wasn't hurting anything but It bugged me so I ordered the canbus version of the led bulb for it. This solved that issue. It fully turns off when the hatch is shut now as it should. As others have said previously it's most likely solid state switching that lets a bit of current through which wouldn't typically be enough to light an incandescent. The canbus bulb has a resistor in it parallel to the led panel so that it lets that little bit of current go through it instead of the led's. So if it bugs you having the hatch light stay dimly lit after converting to an LED bulb, just buy the canbus version. I got mine from superbrightleds.com and they're cheap.