Key FOB issues

Miks7

Reactions
I have found that if I am outdoors and have my "keys" in my outer pocket and they are chilled at all, the car won't recognize the fob when I get in and try to start the car. I put the key up by the are where an ignition switch would normally be, but I am a little baffled the German's can't build a better RF system to recognize a key fob. I am not getting an messages about replacing the battery.

Anyone else experience this?

Any tips to fix the problem?

Reactions
I have found that if I am outdoors and have my "keys" in my outer pocket and they are chilled at all, the car won't recognize the fob when I get in and try to start the car. I put the key up by the are where an ignition switch would normally be, but I am a little baffled the German's can't build a better RF system to recognize a key fob. I am not getting an messages about replacing the battery.

I would suggest replacing the battery regardless, I'm already on my second one.

OP
M

Miks7

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
ATXGolf,

I also replaced the batteries not long ago. They seem to only last about a year depending on how much you use them.

That being said, I figured it out. Just by hitting the lock/unlock seems to help the dumb thing find the keys, and have had no problems since. I never lock my doors EVER, so it was sort of weird, but I thought since the car didn't see any keys, would it seem them if I locked the vehicle!

OP
M

Miks7

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
So it keeps going on. I tried to start the car and the message "key not detected" shows. I tried holding the key up by the sensor on the column, NOTHING! Key fob is dead. I try one more time, system recognizing a key, so I get the vehicle started, get the message key not detected, THEN vehicle transmission goes into "limp mode"!

I shut the car off, and get the other set of keys (luckily I was at home). I drive to work, and get in touch with the service manager. Nice guy, knowledgeable, so I stop in and set an appointment. He checks my batteries in the key fob's, both are 3 volts +. One key fob is completely dead. I leave the car with them, they call and tell me they have to order a part, but they know what the problem is. The immobilizer has a problem, but it is caused by a bad key fob. They tell me to use the good key fob until the part shows up. Well, I get in the vehicle and still get the "replace battery soon" message!

Not sure what is going on here. Anyone else have a problem with the key fob needing to be replaced?

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I haven't had any issues with mine. If you've already replaced the battery I'd suggest taking a video the next time it happens and show your advisor. Maybe the fob itself is bad.

oreozzy

Reactions
My fob went dead on a very early morning, I had figured it to just be a dead battery as it still didn't work later that day and ended up replacing the battery.
Was a pain in the ass when it first happened, as I had to pull off the key cover on the door handle just to get in! Car still detected the key once I placed it up to the sensor under the steering wheel though thankfully.
This was approx 1 year after buying the car.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
My fob went dead on a very early morning, I had figured it to just be a dead battery as it still didn't work later that day and ended up replacing the battery.
Was a pain in the ass when it first happened, as I had to pull off the key cover on the door handle just to get in! Car still detected the key once I placed it up to the sensor under the steering wheel though thankfully.
This was approx 1 year after buying the car.
Yup mine lasted a year as well. We should all remember to replace the battery once a year.

Reactions
Mine too! My other cars usually lasted 2 years of battery life. I bought the energizer CR2025 battery type ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greta2017

Reactions
City
DeLand
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack

Might need to get it reprogrammed. Take all keys

Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Golf Alltrack 2018
I've had to replace the battery twice in less than two years. I read somewhere this could be covered under warranty. I couldn't be bothered...Radio Shack/The Source and 10 minutes later I was out and on my way