High idle at engine start?

Reactions
When ever I start my car it idles around 1300 rpm for around a minute doesn't matter if the engine is warm is this a common thing. It seems the only time it starts and runs around 800-850 rpm is if I've driven for awhile (engine temp normal) and made a quick stop at a store for a couple minutes. If car has sat for 20 minutes or longer 1300+ rpm at start.
I can understand high idle if engine is cold but not when it's warm. Does ANYONE have this problem?

Last edited:

DeeSnutts

Reactions
City
Chirpin Gears & Passin Queers
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 Alltrack SE
It's not a problem, it's perfectly normal and all modern fuel injected engines do it. It's called open loop mode and it occurs on cold starts until one or more of the following 3 happen:

Coolant temp reaches a certain level
O2 sensors get enough heat in them to operate properly
The ECU has sufficiently adjusted the AFR based on different sensor readings.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
So even though it’s 90 degrees outside end car has been driven let’s say 20 miles I go inside somewhere for 30 minutes and come out in the car starts in the idle is up to 1300 that’s normal? Basically every time I drive my car and come out to it it starts up and it’s 1300 RPM rarely is it around 800 to 850. I understand the coldstart procedure for the car but it’s acts like it’s in the cold start almost every time I start it

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
So even though it’s 90 degrees outside end car has been driven let’s say 20 miles I go inside somewhere for 30 minutes and come out in the car starts in the idle is up to 1300 that’s normal? Basically every time I drive my car and come out to it it starts up and it’s 1300 RPM rarely is it around 800 to 850. I understand the coldstart procedure for the car but it’s acts like it’s in the cold start almost every time I start it
By the way it’s done it every since the car is been new. Does your Alltrack do the exact same thing?

DeeSnutts

Reactions
City
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 Alltrack SE
Open loop mode happens on every start up, it could be that these engines stay in open loop longer due to emissions control.

DeeSnutts

Reactions
City
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
19 Alltrack SE
By the way it’s done it every since the car is been new. Does your Alltrack do the exact same thing?
I haven't paid attention with my Alltrack, it only has 600 miles on it. I traded a 2016 Jetta for it and that had the same engine and it would idle high at start up but it was a manual so I'd blip the throttle and be off. But after installing a cold air intake on it, I could really hear the secondary air pump running on startup.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I called stealership and asked them service advisor said it's "normal", but I'm still suspect. I mean come on what I'm talking about is when the engine is still hot, too hot to touch exhaust manifold (if I could) too hot to do oil change for instance. I usually wait around a half hour after driving for that (who likes working on a "hot" engine).
Unless things have changed dramatically since my 2000 Jetta which starts (when cold) at a higher rpm then settles down to "normal idle" in less than a minute. I could be away from car for quite awhile one or two hours and re-starting the engine starts at "normal idle". I just don't like sitting in garage or where ever waiting for the engine to drop to normal idle.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I hope others would chime in here and let me (us) know if it is normal or something that needs to be checked out before I'm out of warranty.

sqc001

Reactions
City
Seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack
I hope others would chime in here and let me (us) know if it is normal or something that needs to be checked out before I'm out of warranty.
Do you have a obd2 scanner ? Sounds odd, this is 4th vw and many car’s especially modern cars that doesn’t sound right. My old carburetor / mustang I had to blip the throttle to lower it.

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Do you have a obd2 scanner ? Sounds odd, this is 4th vw and many car’s especially modern cars that doesn’t sound right. My old carburetor / mustang I had to blip the throttle to lower it.
I'm taking my Alltrack in to VW service in a few days, on the phone with service tech he told me it's "normal" for that high idle...I'm not buying it. He said all the Golfs do it until the Ox sensor warms up which doesn't make much sense when I go into store or something for a short while and come out and it starts and has the high idle...the engine isn't cold by any means, sound like pure B.S. to me and it's doing it during hot summer 80 degrees. Also I want them to check out driver side window noise when lowering window there's a kind of rattle while window is going down he also stated it's very common and noting to be concerned about, well I am concerned none of the other windows make noise...god I hate dealerships. I have a Mk4 Jetta that has that cold start idle but the same scenario when I restart after an hour or so the idle is normal only has high idle when engine is cold.

Dannyo

Reactions
Re: Driver side window noise.........had the same problem, VW tech said a guide/mechanism was bad and replaced it under warranty. 1.5 years later same noise but not as bad. Go figure!

OP
jsun98294
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I haven't paid attention with my Alltrack, it only has 600 miles on it. I traded a 2016 Jetta for it and that had the same engine and it would idle high at start up but it was a manual so I'd blip the throttle and be off. But after installing a cold air intake on it, I could really hear the secondary air pump running on startup.
I have DSG
Re: Driver side window noise.........had the same problem, VW tech said a guide/mechanism was bad and replaced it under warranty. 1.5 years later same noise but not as bad. Go figure!
I've noticed that noise isn't present when it's rained or I've washed the car it seems only when it's been dry out when you're more likely to want to open window (go figure) and the ratcheting sound appears.
Which to me sounds like it's like you said (a guide/mechanism) the service advisor told me w/o having seen my car it a problem with the wiring in the driver side door rubbing or something and it's very common.
If that's the case "it's common" maybe there should be recall or service bulletin to get it fixed and NOT say it's "no big deal a lot of them are like that." One of the issues I have that needs replacement is the Driver side window switch most of the time it malfunctions and have to activate twice (or more) to lower window. I've put off going to dealer every since I've bought the car new because I do not trust them and their line of BS. Last time I was at dealer was with my 1999 Mk4 Jetta for timing belt/water pump replacement I brought my own (aftermarket water pump GOOD German quality Graf with METAL impeller) and told them I wanted it installed they agreed BUT service tech said "they go bad too" because "being made of steel/iron they rust and will seize up"! The VW impellers is plastic which broke apart once and pieces jammed the pump almost causing timing to jump (stripped all the clogs off belt) so after that I went with aftermarket W/P. Anyway what the service advisor said was pure BS (about the rusting) If rusting was a issue the entire engine block would be rust (cast iron block) after that entirely stupid statement I lost any faith I had in service advisors. I also worry that anything they do (like taking door panel off) will not be reinstalled properly causing a return trip to fix, which BTW I did have to return because that same service for water pump timing belt I had them do a jectron injector clean with pressurized fluid. and they put remainder in fuel tank when I picked car up after service I noticed the fuel door open a little I pushed to close and it wouldn't latch they broke it! Denied they broke it they replaced latch but I had to pay "dealer cost" for the latch!

Last edited:

Dannyo

Reactions
My noise with the drivers side window was intermittent too. Luckily the tech rode with me and he noticed it to.
It was also in for another noise when I cranked the wheel to the right it made a faint squeal noise. Turned out o be a strut/bearing/bracket part that also need replacing. They replaced it, I drove home and it started to make a thumping sound.
When I got home I had it towed back to the dealer (felt unsafe to drive). They said that the tech failed to install the part correctly, they fixed it again and it seems ok so far.....My trust in the dealership is now in the toilet, never again will go to them. I purchased the 2017 S new and have good luck until these problems, only have 19k miles on it and so far so good.
I can only hope it continue's as I will be looking for a new shop!