Alltrack being discontinued in US?

Randwulf

Reactions
Hello, all. This is my first post. I have a 2017 Alltrack that I bought new in March 2018. I got a good deal on it at an Atlanta dealership, and so far I have enjoyed the car, other than the noisy, lousy Falken tires that came on it. They are so noisy that I may have to replace them before they are close to being worn out. The car has 16,000 miles on it. Anyway, the reason for this post is that I just read an article on Motor1 that was published two hours ago. The article stated that VW plans to kill the standard Golf in the US--no MKVIII here in the states. Included in this announcement was the news that the Sportwagen will be discontinued as well and that things look grim for the Alltrack. Has anyone else read this, or do any of you know anything about this? I'd hate to see the Alltarack go away. According to the article, VW plans to sell the MkVIII GTI and Golf R in the US. Thanks for reading.

Reactions
Unlike Europeans, Americans have never warmed up to hatchbacks.. we’ve just gotta have that trunk over here !
VW has looked at numbers (per the article), and will wisely keep the GTI and Golf R in this market.
I loved my mk5 GTI, and after a month, I’m loving my Alltrack..
It’s unfortunate that they failed to support the Alltrack with advertising, and likely be allowing the longroofs to fall victim to the Golf withdrawl from the US

OP
R

Randwulf

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I agree. I have never seen a single Alltrack advertisement. I have a 2012 Subaru Outback that I bought new. The Outback, which is nothing more than a glorified wagon, has become ubiquitous over the past few years. I don't think Volkswagen has given the Alltrack a chance. I only have 16,000 miles on my Alltrack, but so far I have really enjoyed it. It stacks up to the Outback very well and has a lot more zip. I hope VW reconsiders their apparent plan to nix the Golf Alltrack.

Reactions
Its sad but if you look at the sales numbers, the Alltrack doesn't look like its great seller.

jguinee1

Reactions
Of all the cars I’ve owned, the Alltrack is my favorite. This is sad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Following 10 yrs with a New Beetle MT Turbo, and 5 yrs with a Mk 5 GTI, I was looking at Subaru this spring. I drove Foresters and Outbacks and CrossTreks- none felt right.. Really, by accident, I came back to VW and discovered Alltrack.. Zero advertising, Zero promotion, and Zero awareness about Alltrack.. but WOW..
MUCH more solid than Forester. Much more nimble and fun to drive than Outback. $20k less than Audi Allroad.
VWOA seriously missed the boat by not marketing the Alltrack as a very credible utility vehicle, worthy of full consideration by crossover and small SUV buyers. Sucks if discontinued in US.

OP
R

Randwulf

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I actually considered a Subaru Impreza before I bought the Alltrack. I like Subarus, but there was no comparison between the Alltrack and the Impreza. The Impreza was like Fred Flintstone's car when it came to acceleration. The VW was quicker, more substantial and an overall better package. And my Alltrack cost less than the Impreza. I thought I might even get a new Alltarck in a few years, but the way it looks now that will not be an option. Too bad.

Miks7

Reactions
I have owned my 2017 Alltrack two years now, and I still love to drive it! The quality of the materials is superior to those of most other lower priced vehicles by other brands, and compared to the Outback by Subaru, the Alltrack has character. The Subaru IS sterile and without personality, the VW Alltrack has some quirks, but everything else it does, it does well.

I am bummed out about VW discontinuing the Alltrack, but sales numbers are what drives the decision. I do like the new Tiguan, and it has more room and is higher in traffic, just what the market is doing right now. Just ask Ford, who quit building sedans w/two exceptions, the iconic Mustang being one of them, and have gone to cross-overs and SUV's + trucks. I think the Alltrack just out handles all these vehicles, and the 4Motion gets it through most deep snow situations without any problem.

I have always liked wagon's, so I will be keeping my Alltrack for some time. Wagons just make sense, my dog loves being in the back where she rides most of the time, and it just has a lot of room when going out camping. SUV's are sluggs, with poor handling and mediocre performance, so I am surprised VW didn't do a little better in the marketing department, but the market in the US just isn't into the wagon...just ask Buick, they can't give away the Regal TourX, and I believe Buick is stopping production after two years!

The one thing I would trade my Alltrack in on? - VW...how about that compact truck I keep seeing photos of???