40k DSG service

steel1

Reactions
Figured I'd post this FYI.
Just did the 40k DSG transmission service on my 2017 Alltrack, had the benefit of a knowledgeable friend with a lift and scan tool.
Not really that difficult of a job, the most time consuming part is removing the air box assembly , battery and tray with associated wire clips.
Everything can be done with common hand tools.
You need to have a funnel that will either fit the center hole in the filter housing or screw into drain plug hole, we had one that fit the filter
housing. The on caveat is ...you need to have a way of determining when the trans fluid is up to temp and then drain off excess, my buddy
had software on a laptop for this.
There are some instructional videos on Youtube that are helpful.
I paid $120 for the materials Deutsche Auto on line, think dealers charge somewhere between $350-$450.

Levi0804

Reactions
City
Wenatchee
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf Alltrack DSG
This is good to know! Hey, I have a question about the fluid in the transmission and maybe you can help. I had my motor oil change due, so I decided to do it myself, but I made a mistake and opened up the DSG transmission plug. I understand there is a snorkel in the transmission, so I didn't drain all my fluid, but some still came out. Should I be concerned about this?
Facts: My car was on wheel ramps and drained at an angle. I believe the temp of the transmission oil was over 50 degrees Celsius (I am not sure what the temperature have to do with draining your transmission, so hopefully that can receive and answer as well).

OP
S

steel1

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Fluid level in these DSG transmissions are pretty critical, I would have the fluid checked and filled to the correct level.
Transmission fluid expands as the temp increases, this is why the fluid is brought up to operating temp and the excess is drained off through
the stand pipe.

Levi0804

Reactions
City
Wenatchee
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf Alltrack DSG
How do I check the level? Can I put some in there?