2018 Golf Alltrack to get 72,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty

VWFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
https://www.cars.com/articles/volks...o-virtually-entire-2018-lineup-1420697423182/

The Jetta, Passat, Beetle and almost all the Golf family - including the Golf, Golf Alltrack, Golf SportWagen, Golf GTI and Golf R - join the new Atlas and redesigned Tiguan SUVs with six years or 72,000 miles (whichever comes first) of bumper-to-bumper and powertrain coverage for the 2018 model year. That's double the bumper-to-bumper warranty and one more year of powertrain coverage compared with Volkswagen's 2017 models. Roadside assistance for 2018 remains three years or 36,000 miles.

crashton

Reactions
That is pretty darned nice. There are some really good deals going now on 2017 Alltrack's. This better warranty will make me wait for the 2018 models.

Reactions
Do you think VW are dangling the carrot for people to return to the brand after the emissions scandal?
No changes to warranty yet in Australia.

Reactions
Do you think VW are dangling the carrot for people to return to the brand after the emissions scandal?
I think they are just trying to keep up with a few other automakers that offer similar warranty. Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi, Volvo and Infiniti all offer similar or better warranty, but I would still purchase a VW over the others.[thumb]

crashton

Reactions
Yes I do think VW are trying to win back their customer base & I hope it works for them. Many people in the US hold VW in contempt for their emissions cheating. My take is it was a brilliant deception, but an incredibly stupid thing for them to do.

I hope this warranty carrot works for them. They are bleeding money at an incredible rate. Maybe when I buy my Alltrack next year it will make them whole again. ;-)

I don't feel VW is trying to keep up with other makers on the warranty front. Although I may be wring about that.

Have a good weekend folks.

Reactions
That is pretty darned nice. There are some really good deals going now on 2017 Alltrack's. This better warranty will make me wait for the 2018 models.
Be careful there are some significant option changes for 2018 models. You do get the better longer warranty. But you don't get the full Drivers Assist package (Front Assist/Collision avoidance/Park Assist/Adaptive Cruise/ Self Parking( not available at all in 2018)) unless you go for the SEL model whereas on the 2017 models it was available on the SE for $800 some dollars. If that is of interest to you.
It's nice to have if you live in the city, but the automatic stopping for me only works 30% of the time. Tried to run over some boxes and did many times until I lined it with aluminum foil, and even then ran it over most of the time depending on the angle of the boxes.
And you are right there are some great VW to dealer incentives in the $3-4,000 range on top of the usual incentives depending on the dealer so the price of a 2017 will be much lower, if you can find one that fits your needs.

Reactions
Well...it only lasted a couple of years and now VW is cutting back to only four years and the four year limitation applies to the powertrain as well. VW has had a reliability problem for some time. The "People First" warranty looked like VW was going to make an effort to focus on reliability (after all...if one is going to be on the hook for repairs for six years, one wants to make a product that won't break during that period). But...of course...the alternative to improving reliability is to simply cut back on the warranty. It does look like VW chose that route.

I think the Alltrack is a great car. But I would have purchased a Mazda CX-5 instead if the car only had a four year original warranty.

Reactions
First two weeks of ownership. My daughter reached for the grab bar and it loosened up. Not a great sign. Glad I got the six year warranty...wish it were ten.

Ogre72

Reactions
City
Glendale
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack S Dsg
recently joined this forum. I own 2 wagons, a 13 tdi wagon and a 19 alltrack s/dsg. a die hard vw will buy the cars and always look o the bright side. my opinion

Reactions
City
Seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack SE
I know this thread is super old, but here's our story. My sig other of 12 years needed to replace her 2000 Outback back in 2019. I had a beater Grand Caravan so we couldn't rely on that. She was looking at the Crosstrek, Outback, Elantra GT, etc. She never considered a VW because of dieselgate and just a general distrust of German car reliability. I test drove the Alltrack and told her to give it a look. She had never purchased a new car (we were in our early 60's then) and really didn't want to spend more than $20k. Well, not much even then for that price. The Outback had just gotten too big, the AC on the Crosstrek didn't blow cold enough for her plus the CVT sucked and the Elantra just seemed cheap. So she agreed to go look. She did like it, but too expensive. They had a 2018 GSW on the lot, new, for only $18k. We drove it and it was ok, but very basic. She REALLY liked the Silk Blue Alltrack SE/DSG with tan leatherette and panoramic sunroof but it was $33k. Tiguans were much less but she liked wagons and the Alltrack was about the same size as her old Outback. She decided if they could find an S in Silk Blue she would consider it. Since they weren't continuing the model in the US after 2019, there weren't many around. They did find 1 a couple of hundred miles away but convinced her to buy the SE for $27k! The 6 year, 72k mile warranty played a BIG part in that decision. It's been almost 5 years now and she absolutely loves her GAW and have had no issues. We only have 15,000 miles on it and it's still worth around what she paid for it. She's very risk averse, however, and has a year to decide whether to keep it or trade it in on something else with a warranty. Sure, the dealer gave her a *lifetime* powertrain warranty but we know what that's worth. That 4 year/40k service for $1,000 was a bit of a shock, too.