Winter wheels and tires.

Reactions
Today i test fit my winter wheels and tires. Stock wheels were the 18" Alltrack wheels with 225/45 r18 Continental procontacts. On my scale they weighed in at just over 46.2 Pounds (my bathroom scale).
The replacement wheels are Anzio 16x6.5" Anzio spark bright wheels with 205/65-16 ($84.00 each) with Michelin X-Ive X-13 tires ($105.20). Again; on my scale they weighed 40.6 lbs.

Almost a six pound difference per corner, and exceptionally better pothole protection through the winter via the much taller Tire sidewall height.

I also opted for the tire totes for storage (49.95)

Cost mounted and ballanced with two year protection ($32.48 value) thrown in for free, came to $799.75. Governor fee $50.78 (tax).

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Nice, are you going with snow tires?

Sleeper

Reactions
For the winter we?ll downsize the 18 rim also. I wrapped my old 17in VW rims with some Mich X-Ice. I?ve never had snow tires before! I?ll throw them on next week.

Vizsla

Reactions
i am ordering my 2018 SE next week.
18"wheels.
i saw the country concept alltrack utube.
they have 15" wheels on it with bf goodrich KO2 tires for snow and mud.
that will give me more sidewalls also for offroad winter stuff that i do.
do you like the 16" that you have?

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
205/65-16 Michelin Ice'x tires have remained firmly planted through several very slippery storms we've had up here in central Massachusetts. Christmas morning I had to drive 70 miles in near white-out conditions, I never would have been able to make the trip with the stock tires.
One other notable thing was the ride seem to improve with the winter tires, the 18in Continentals always felt and sounded like I was riding on gravel. The 18 inch low profile Tire sacrifices quite a bit when it comes to comfort.

Vizsla

Reactions
Thanks, I'll check out that Michelin Ice X
Need to shop for second set of rims.
Did you ever see the alltrack country concept on utube?
I really like the wheels on it.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I did see the alltrack country on YouTube, it was a pretty cool car. I'm actually thinking of getting another set of wheels just to put some 16 inch summer tires.
If anybody out there is interested in my 18in wheels and tires I am thinking about unloading them. I don't drive fast enough to need such an aggressive wheel tire combination. I bought the SEL for the power seats and Fender radio option.

PaulGiz

Reactions
i am ordering my 2018 SE next week.
18"wheels.
i saw the country concept alltrack utube.
they have 15" wheels on it with bf goodrich KO2 tires for snow and mud.
that will give me more sidewalls also for offroad winter stuff that i do.
do you like the 16" that you have?
If they have 15s on that car, they have unusually good brake clearance. Without measuring, you would have to go with 16s at a minimum on the Alltrack.

tomscia

Reactions
I have a 2017 SEL with VW 18" wheels. I then bought a set of aftermarket 16" wheels with Blizzaks. However, the wheel weights inside the alloy 16" wheels made contact with the top of the brake calipers, so I exchanged them for aftermarket alloy 18" wheels with Blizzaks --- they now work fine with lots of clearance between the calipers and the inside of rims. In the spring I will remove the winter wheel-tire set and put back on the all season VW OEM wheel-tire set.

Runtrack

Reactions
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack SE
Those that have two sets of wheels. I am curious as to how you have dealt with the TPM system. Do you have another set of sensors in the spare set of wheels, do you swap the sensors from wheel to wheel, or do you just not have sensors in the other sets? I know this is not a system that displays or measures each tire pressure in real time. It is a manual system where you fill the tiers than set the system.
So yeah how have you guys dealt with this?

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
TPMS is no longer mounted to the wheels/tires. VW has moved to an indirect system now which mounts to the abs system

Mygolfwgn

Reactions
City
Dayton
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 golf alltrack S 6speed
Anybody have any experience with the Falken/sincera stockTires in the snow! going to try them out this winter! They don’t look super slippery… We’ll see!

Runtrack

Reactions
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack SE
TPMS is no longer mounted to the wheels/tires. VW has moved to an indirect system now which mounts to the abs system
And that's why I check in to this Forum. Thanks AlltrackMike

Reactions
Anybody have any experience with the Falken/sincera stockTires in the snow! going to try them out this winter! They don’t look super slippery… We’ll see!
I'm running the same Sincera tires, I find them to be comfortable and work well in the rain.

VWORDIE

Reactions
City
Calgary
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack
TPMS is no longer mounted to the wheels/tires. VW has moved to an indirect system now which mounts to the abs system[/QUOTE

Wished I'd known this. I now have sensors mounted in my winter wheels. Apparently my tire shop is also unaware.