Phiips X-Treme Vision bulbs on S trim.

PaulGiz

Reactions
Report on the Philips X-Treme vision bulbs I installed on my S trim.

Many of us have noted that the standard Halogen lighing on these cars is not too good.

LED and HID conversions are expensive and not actually legal, and my car is a lease, so avoiding replacing the housings with projectors and expensive, difficult to reverse stuff like that.

Rather than go higher wattage bulb and take a chance on melting reflectors or damaging wiring or triggering codes I tried a set of "High-Output" bulbs from Philips.

Since you don't get something from nothing, these bulbs do not actually make more light, the theory is that the windings are tighter, acting more like a point source and allowing the reflectors to focus better, plus some blue filters to raise the color temperature a bit towards frequencies we perceive with higher sensitivity.

The bulbs are about $30 a set and I replaced the H7 low beams and the H11 fogs, so $60.

Low beams: Not dramatic, but definitely better. Beam is more even and does seem to extend somewhat further down the road. So we've gone from marginal to acceptable. I'm ok with that.

Fogs: Big, big difference. Again, even beam acts like a flood instead of scattered patches of light as before. You definitely see them when they come on as cornering lights. As fogs, they're much more effective. Major improvement.

Of course nothing is free, the life expectancy on these is half of normal bulbs, but I'm thinking $30 ever 2 years for lows beams and every 4-5 years for fogs is ok with me.

That's it.

Reactions
Good choice in brand,I used to use Sylvania Silverstar bulbs in my Mk4 Jetta I would go through 2 sets a year! That gets pretty expensive, I switched to Philips counterpart and never replaced headlight bulb again the Philips were about the same color tempature as the Silverstar bulbs in fact the Philips were a bit brighter too. I'll never buy Sylvania bulbs again. BTW I know how to handle halogen bulbs taking care to never touch the bulb so that wasn't the issue with the Silverstar bulb, they just don't last very long.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Nice review [MENTION=139]PaulGiz[/MENTION]

I had the same issues with the Sylvania Silverstar burning out, I gave up after the second set in 3 years.

macdonx

Reactions
I installed Lasfit LED bulbs on my car. Most halogens are pretty dim, except for the higher wattage bulbs, which I'm afraid to use because some say it'll burn the housing. Is that true?

Reactions
I installed Lasfit LED bulbs on my car. Most halogens are pretty dim, except for the higher wattage bulbs, which I'm afraid to use because some say it'll burn the housing. Is that true?
I just replied to your post on the "Welcome page" you posted on. Try Philips or Osram halogen bulbs they are much better than you might think and no they won't melt your headlights if you stick with 55-60w bulbs. The higher wattage bulbs 100+ watts just might overload your electrical wiring and they're illegal on public roads (offroad use only). There are many proven light upgrades out there just do some research and read up on what works and what doesn't it'll save you money in the long run everyone wants the best brightest lights just keep in mind the oncoming traffic when making your decision.