City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack S, 6MT
Hi everyone! I just bought a new 2019 green alltrack on friday. I got one with the 6 speed manual (this was a must for me). It's a clone of the one in the car and driver review articles except mine has black leatherette interior. This is my first brand new car purchase and also first VW. So far I couldn't be happier. Suntrop VW (st. louis) was a pleasure to deal with. I originally went in to look at a base gray awd 6 speed sportwagen they had which was all that showed on their website. By the time I got there, it had been sold already. But he said they had a couple more in stock that weren't uploaded to the website yet. I asked him if they had a green one and sure enough they did! So I wound up paying a little more but I feel like it was meant to be. I got exactly what I wanted down to all specs/packages/colors. I'm thrilled that I was still able to buy a brand new car with a real key and a real e-brake. It's so much fun to drive! I always wanted a stick shift awd wagon and this car knocks it out of the park. I've already been averaging 32mpg and it isn't even broken in yet. One question I have is what are you guys doing for oil change intervals? The service advisor definitely told me to let it go the full 10k for the first two changes so it breaks in properly and then he said I can change it as often as every 5k after that if I want. Also since these are direct injection motors, is it a good idea to install a catch can on the pcv system? I'm not sure if that would void the warranty or not either.

Thanks!
Nick

Attachments

Reactions
Hi everyone! I just bought a new 2019 green alltrack on friday. I got one with the 6 speed manual (this was a must for me). It's a clone of the one in the car and driver review articles except mine has black leatherette interior. This is my first brand new car purchase and also first VW. So far I couldn't be happier. Suntrop VW (st. louis) was a pleasure to deal with. I originally went in to look at a base gray awd 6 speed sportwagen they had which was all that showed on their website. By the time I got there, it had been sold already. But he said they had a couple more in stock that weren't uploaded to the website yet. I asked him if they had a green one and sure enough they did! So I wound up paying a little more but I feel like it was meant to be. I got exactly what I wanted down to all specs/packages/colors. I'm thrilled that I was still able to buy a brand new car with a real key and a real e-brake. It's so much fun to drive! I always wanted a stick shift awd wagon and this car knocks it out of the park. I've already been averaging 32mpg and it isn't even broken in yet. One question I have is what are you guys doing for oil change intervals? The service advisor definitely told me to let it go the full 10k for the first two changes so it breaks in properly and then he said I can change it as often as every 5k after that if I want. Also since these are direct injection motors, is it a good idea to install a catch can on the pcv system? I'm not sure if that would void the warranty or not either.

Thanks!
Nick
Hey, I just picked up mine in mid July, 2019 SEL 6MT in STL. I will change my first oil at 1K (0 40 Castrol) and then 5K intervals. Always been a car guy and there is a lot of science to that process although you can probably go longer on the subsequent intervals these days...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Blip6to2

Blip6to2

Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I've always been a car guy too with older cars. Are you having the dealer do the 10k services to keep the lifetime powertrain warranty? I was thinking the 10k oil changes seem too long too however, there is a lot of info I read with the euro spec castrol lasting that long and people having over 200k miles following that service schedule with no issues. Where did you get info for the interval process you're doing? Just curious as I've always had old cars so I'm not sure what realistic intervals for these new cars are. I just hit 1,000 miles in mine. I think I may need to check the transmission fluid level. I was reading where one guy said it was underfilled from the factory and I've noticed the second gear shift getting notchier already.

Reactions
I've rebuilt several VW engines in the past (previous lifetime ;)) and we would run the car for a few hours, sometimes a few weeks (depending on the application) and then change oil to get rid of any particles that come loose before we stick to regular oil changes which were 3-5k miles at that time. I might let the dealer do the 10k oil change just for the warranty, but I am definitely doing my own in between. Didn't hear about the tranny fluid issues, now I have to check mine, thanks. I drove an Audi before and my shifts were smooth as butter, so I miss that and the VW is notchier. I just ordered the euro short shift kit and shifter bushings in hopes that will smooth things out a bit...

OP
Blip6to2

Blip6to2

Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I did some more reading around the internet. Apparently the notchy shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 is very common. Some state that aligning the shift linkage helps alleviate this. I'll look more into that as well.

OP
Blip6to2

Blip6to2

Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
I re-aligned the shifter cables per this video here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOoDJuhSx8
. It made a noticeable improvement on gear change feel. Shifting into second gear still feels a bit notchy but is definitely better. The rest of the gear changes feel quite smooth now. It slides into first and reverse from neutral while stopped with less resistance as well. It's a pretty easy process and I'd say it's worth doing.

Reactions
I just got my European short shifter and will do this as well. I'll report back, thanks...

OP
Blip6to2

Blip6to2

Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
Are you going to put mud/splash guards on yours? I'm kindof torn on this one. I was going to, but there aren't really any good aftermarket options and the stock vw ones trap junk in between them and the fender paint. I saw pictures from other forums where they rub the fender paint and rust starts beneath them very quickly. I guess I could get really generic rubber flaps and cut them to fit. I'll keep looking on this one. I have an appointment set up with Dalo Motoring to tint the windows soon. I also ordered a dash mat and the factory alltrack rubber floor mats. I'm considering ordering the form fit bug guard for it too but haven't decided on that one yet either.

Reactions
LOL, I debated the mud flaps for weeks and finally ordered the VW stock ones 2 days ago, I think they'll be fine on the Alltrack but I'll provide feedback when they arrive.
I had the windows tinted and put on a clear bra the first week I got it. The rear hatch release is really nice. It only opens automatically, no closing but great when I am carrying bags to the car...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions
The original VW mud flaps were easy to install and there is no way they can damage the paint on the car since they only touch the plastic around the Alltrack wheel well. I know the pictures you are talking about and it doesn't apply to us.

The European short shifter is AMAZING..! Not only are the shifts quicker and shorter, but this really improved the feel of the shifts as they are now smoother and more precise, I highly recommend it...

OP
Blip6to2

Blip6to2

Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
After I wrote that, I thought about it and you're right. The alltrack has that plastic molding around the wheel wells protecting the paint. I'll have to look into the euro short shifter. Also, pretty much since day one, my front passenger side door panel has had a rattle in the center area of it from bass resonance from the speaker. It can be pretty bad depending on what I'm listening to. Does yours have this issue? I've looked at it pretty closely and I don't see any way to fix it without taking the door panel off. I may wait till I get my first service from the dealer and see if they can fix it for free or not.

Reactions
I have not experienced any issues with the car, but it's still a baby at 1400 miles. I am actually surprised at the build quality of this car, they did a beautiful job. I can't see why the dealer wouldn't take care of it under warranty...

OP
Blip6to2

Blip6to2

Reactions
City
St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
I had the windows tinted yesterday and it really classes up the look of the car. But even more so, I'll be happy that headlights behind me at night won't be so blinding anymore and it will stay cooler on the inside during hot days. Went with the legal limit up front and 20% on the rear. This is the usual combo that I do on my cars. I was slightly bummed as they weren't able to do the front A-pillar windows. Although I figured that would be a possibility as they're so small and the opening to them on the inside is even smaller.

Attachments

VWFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
I had the windows tinted yesterday and it really classes up the look of the car. But even more so, I'll be happy that headlights behind me at night won't be so blinding anymore and it will stay cooler on the inside during hot days. Went with the legal limit up front and 20% on the rear. This is the usual combo that I do on my cars. I was slightly bummed as they weren't able to do the front A-pillar windows. Although I figured that would be a possibility as they're so small and the opening to them on the inside is even smaller.
Looks great