City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 VW Golf Alltrack
Just bought the 2019 Golf Alltrack SE automatic and have only 100 miles on it in the last day. (Green/black). Eager to follow other owners’ issues on this forum. I’ve previously owned an Outback 2.5 manual and gave it up when the second clutch went out at 195k. That was our third Subaru. Spouse then went for Mazda CX-5 Touring and now I have the my first VW since a 1971 Super Beetle.
I have some concerns about the early Alltrack moon roof leaking issues.Are there any new 2019 owners experiencing moonroof issues?

Reactions
My kids haven't had that issue but the car is only four months old and much of that has been in cold weather.

FooDogg

Reactions
Just bought the 2019 Golf Alltrack SE automatic and have only 100 miles on it in the last day. (Green/black). Eager to follow other owners’ issues on this forum. I’ve previously owned an Outback 2.5 manual and gave it up when the second clutch went out at 195k. That was our third Subaru. Spouse then went for Mazda CX-5 Touring and now I have the my first VW since a 1971 Super Beetle.
I have some concerns about the early Alltrack moon roof leaking issues.Are there any new 2019 owners experiencing moonroof issues?
Bill welcome to new owner of Alltrack club.

Me: 2017 AT S, but a noob on repairs, tech etc so I peruse forums, and you may get more feedback on pano issue at:

A. Facebook VOlkswagon Alltrack Owners group, altho caution some of it is obviously disgruntled pano leak owners mad...

B. Erwin online shop manual
There is a TSB at shop level for leak, and some say changes at factory may have reduced numbers affected in my2018,19...

C.More tech oriented cognoscenti at Golf Sportwagon VII forum at vwvortex, also Tapatalk capable like here

D.And the racers and lowered scene congregates at golfmk7. com

There is no public available resource as to numbers of affected except anecdotal and my take is you are gonna read about unhappy few a LOT vs majority silent no problems, most of whom dont even know about these kinds of car enthusiast forums.

For now:
1.Do the spider trap removal thing and 2. if really worried you can wrap the top.

3. TLDR keep an eye on headliner after hard rain, hand wash it vs go to drive thru, and at first sign of a leak take to dealer to get documented.

4. And pat yourself on back for scoring the last year of 6/72 warranty.

Good dealers and VWOA appear to be honoring well documented problems with a fix or buyback.

5. Enjoy your AT- last of the affordable Autobahn Alpine Wagons in the US...
Its the best bang for buck going, but I am biased.

Good luck!
-foo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Welcome to the Alltrack club Bill, FooDogg already provided some good advice above. My 2019 SEL M/T is now 6 months old with 4K miles and no issues. I only hand wash with a 3200psi power washer (40 Degrees White) and two bucket system. Love the car, absolutely no complaints from me.
Enjoy the car and keep in touch...

Reactions
I am curious. I cross shopped a Mazda CX-5 touring with the VW Alltrack. My daughter ended up choosing the Alltrack. Since you and your spouse own both, what are the good and bad aspects you have identified for each?

Greta2017

Reactions
City
DeLand
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack
Just experienced buy back with my '17. I live in FL where a torrential rain storm can happen regularly. Too much water for this design flaw to handle. Do Not hesitate to open a case if you have a leak. Documentation from the start will ensure you are treated fairly. I now own a '19 with no pano. Love the car- don't miss the sunroof ;)

OP
B

Bill H.

Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 VW Golf Alltrack
Thread Starter #7
Just checking back in response to my first forum notification. (Not sure how I missed these earlier much appreciated responses). Thanks to Foodog, SteveinArizona, and the other respondents.I now have 1150 miles and no issues other than a chronic squeak in the brakes when backing up out of the driveway. I keep assuming it will resolve with more mileage and have not brought it back to the dealer. Car is increasingly broken in and gas mileage seems to be improving. Had 33mpg in a 65 mile mixed highway trip today.

In response to the comparison question regarding my wife’s CX-5 and my Alltrack here are a couple of observations:
1. She LOVES the fully featured CX5 for its beautiful red color, comfort, rear leg space, and all the safety features Mazda offers at the top end. She really dislikes the entertainment/navigation system which is pretty buggy and hard to diagnose sometimes. Her 2018 did not offer Apple CarPlay and there have been lots of complaints about the system. The newer Mazda CX-5 has the CarPlay.

2. The Alltrack was initially getting lower mileage than I expected (17-19 mpg) even with all the online feedback on this concern. However, I’ve been using the gas usage monitoring system and paying attention to the acceleration and accessories that drag mpg. That along with more miles driven seems to be steadily improving the MPG. (24-27 and 33 today on a mixed highway-in town drive).
My interest in the Alltrack was driven in large part due the roof height for ease of biking and kayaking. While we’re having very little snow in Buffalo this winter, I’m looking forward to spring- summer weather and hopefully the VW will make it easy to load a boat on and off. I’ve also used an automatic car was twice and no leaks on the pano.I’m loving the Alltrack so far! I’d recommend it.
Thanks again for all the inputs. More later.

Reactions
Nice comparison. Our decision (a car for my then pregnant daughter) came down to a Mazda CX-5 vs. the Alltrack. My daughter ended up opting for the Alltrack because she is only 5 feet tall and the lower height made it easier to get in and out of and because of the six year warranty.

Frankly, given VW's reliabililty history, if the Alltrack didn't have a six year warranty, it would not have made the cut.

Golf Alltrack Posts