Golf Alltrack Tuning Thread

snowj720

Reactions
I'm liking the looks of the Race Chip upgrade. I was going to go with the Neuspeed piggyback (for warranty issues), but this is looking like a really sweet option. BrenDub have you noticed the difference? Any doubts about their claims? Also, does a short ram intake help with this. I know the Neuspeed says their intake helps, but I have to imagine that any decent intake will do the same.

snowj720

Reactions
Seeing some sketchy reviews of the Race Chip. Neuspeed is time tested with V-dubs, probably will stick with that one. Anyone done a cold air intake or downpipe or other bolt on parts? Gains?

Brendub

Reactions
Seeing some sketchy reviews of the Race Chip. Neuspeed is time tested with V-dubs, probably will stick with that one. Anyone done a cold air intake or downpipe or other bolt on parts? Gains?
No offence man but I just did a little searching myself and out of 30 positive reviews from BMW, MB to Audi and VW the general consensus is that people have had no issues with exception of a select few. Now this could have been from improper installation or hooking up the unit to incorrect sensors etc.

My personal experience is that I personally had the Ulitmate version installed on my 1.8T Jetta for a year and now in my Alltrack (2 months) with zero issues, check engine lights or failures. That being said I looked at all my options before buying the Racechip and decided it was my best choice because my main reason was contruction, durability and water proof nature. The neuspeed l, Berger motorsports, Dinan versions looked cheaply constructed. The 2nd main reason for my choice was Bluetooth connectivity, at the time none of these companies offered an app with control via a smartphone. Overall I am pleased with the Racechip thus far and don't always let a couple of people negative feedback sway my decision based on there bad experiences. I also did contact there customer service without issue and was contacted within 24 hours to my questions. Just food for thought anyone reading this thread and that is considering purchasing one.

As far as you questions go with power gain, yes it's huge and noticable for sure. I didn't have an intake installed on either vehicle but from past experiences with tuning, supporting hardware will also give you more noticable gains than one without.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

snowj720

Reactions
Brendub, Stoked you are having a good experience with the Racechip. I'm not doubting it. The gen consen does seem to point to positive results, but there are bad reviews that can't be denied. Some claim it's little more than snake oil (so to speak). Are their numbers at the crank or real world?
Nilly, That unitronic sounds badass, but I worry when a company can't do simple math. Their gains number don't match their charts and their stock numbers don't match the manufacturer numbers.
Who woulda thunk there'd be so much to think about for a simple mod. I just want the one that gives me results without CELs.

Brendub

Reactions
Brendub, Stoked you are having a good experience with the Racechip. I'm not doubting it. The gen consen does seem to point to positive results, but there are bad reviews that can't be denied. Some claim it's little more than snake oil (so to speak). Are their numbers at the crank or real world?
Nilly, That unitronic sounds badass, but I worry when a company can't do simple math. Their gains number don't match their charts and their stock numbers don't match the manufacturer numbers.
Who woulda thunk there'd be so much to think about for a simple mod. I just want the one that gives me results without CELs.
Dude......you are way overthinking this! I would trust majority of the positive reviews over a just a few negatives. Keep in mind take everything for a grain salt so to speak, I talk from experience and am giving you my honest opinion here. I don't have anything to gain or lose either way, just my opinion from my own experience so take it for what it's worth my man.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RobynNJ

Reactions
When the time comes I'm planning to go with a Stage 1 APR tune. A friend had that on his 2008 Jetta and it was impressive. I know it's a different engine, but the improvement over stock felt great. Also, my dealer does the APR tune and will still honor the warranty if the tune is done there. Figuring I'll drive the car stock for a while to get a good feel for it so that when I go in for the tune, I'll have a better feel for just how much improvement the tune gives me.

George

Reactions
Improved MPG?

Hey. I'm new here. Just got a 2017 SE and am curious about the piggyback tuning options. I know these help boost performance, but I'm curious about the claims of increased MPG. For example, Racechip says their GTS chip can raise MPG "up to 20%." Would love to hear of real world results specific to the Alltrack, of the Racechip GTS or any other brand. Anyone have info to share? If so, thanks in advance!

George :)

Reactions
I would recommend you read/Google the details about VW diesel scandal to see the effects of MPG vs. NOx and decide for yourself. I'm not sure how Racechip does it but our engines would behave in a somewhat similar fashion.

George

Reactions
I would recommend you read/Google the details about VW diesel scandal to see the effects of MPG vs. NOx and decide for yourself. I'm not sure how Racechip does it but our engines would behave in a somewhat similar fashion.
Thanks. After poking around for info related to these devices I had started to wonder what impact aftermarket "tuning," be it by ECU flashing or a chip, might have on emissions. I'm not interesed in cheating the system or risking my warranty, but I am curious about how things work.

George :)

Reactions
I'm kind of interested in this type of engine mod too (a ECU flash or piggy back system) Can you elaborate as to how the dieselgate scandal has to do with these engine mods for gas engines? I don't see the connection.

Reactions
I'm kind of interested in this type of engine mod too (a ECU flash or piggy back system) Can you elaborate as to how the dieselgate scandal has to do with these engine mods for gas engines? I don't see the connection.
To put it in simple terms: Increasing the combustion temperature of the engine increases the thermal efficiency (better fuel economy and/or more power). The only problem with running engines at higher temperature is that the air in the combustion chamber which consists of 78% Nitrogen turns into NO, NO2, NO3 etc.. (NOx). In the presence of high heat, NOx emissions exponentially increase out the tailpipe. NOx is what causes smog in the air and affects peoples lungs/asthma problems. Engine manufactures perform a fine balancing act to calibrate the engine to meet emission standards and have good driveability under all conditions. NOx emissions in diesel and gas engines behave a bit differently but same general ideas apply, basically high heat yields higher emissions.

Bottom line: with these ECU flash or piggy back systems you are changing your vehicle's calibration to optimize it for power or fuel economy or both. However, I'm not sure if they spent the extra money testing, that costs in the $30,000-$200,000+ price range, to see what happens to the rest of a vehicle's emissions (HC, CO, NOx, PM) which typically affects peoples health.

Does anyone know if there are any EPA or CARB approved mods, not just pending approval? Or should I not ask :)

Reactions
Thanks for that explanation, well stated...and YES you should ask about EPA/CARB approved mods. Anything that changes emissions (for the worse) should be not taken lightly.
For all I know our Alltracks could already be cheating emissions.

nilly

Reactions
Hey Snow,

Sorry for the delay, been busy with a new little one at home. I can't speak to the numbers as I haven't done any Dino time. I've had my tune about 9k miles so far and am still in love with it. Only maintenence to this point was an oil change and general checkup service at the dealer.

A good friend of mine is the sales manager at my local dealership and he's the one that recommended Unitronic to me. I looked at APR as well but went with my friends recommendation.

As for MPG, it really depends on driving style. I can be conservative and get another 4-5 MPG over what I was getting stock but I didn't flash my ECU to be conservative. By no means am I racing, but I'm enjoying my daily commute. With that, I'm getting the same as stock MPG.

For environmentals, I assume they are not working to meet any standards. My aim is to pass state emissions without cheating the system. I have no plans on removing cats or any other protection devices from the car. I've had much heavier modified vehicles and they all passed without issue. Beyond that, I don't know what the overall output change is on the car either.

Wish I had better answers but like everyone else, I just have speculation and observation to base this all off of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Following up on my previous concern about certification of the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade for emissions. I guess it is legit.
Last month APR received their approval from the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade, and our Alltracks are on the list. There is a copy of the CARB Executive approval on the bottom of their webpage. WOW I guess that's why they call California a progressive state. I wonder if it's available to the rest of the 49 states?

UPDATE 12/3: After looking into whether the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade is allowed in all 50 states it looks like the CARB Executive order may be acceptable to the 16 or so states mostly in the Notheast that have adopted California's standard and maybe the rest of the states, as well. IF anyone related to APR know about this issue please post or clarify on the APR website, so it is clear to all.

Last edited:

911er

Reactions
Does anyone know if the piggyback style modules leave any sort of code that the dealer might be able to detect on a routine service?

Reactions
Does anyone know if the piggyback style modules leave any sort of code that the dealer might be able to detect on a routine service?
See post #16 on this thread if you haven't already. If that doesn't answer your question contact the manufactures. The manufactures would be able to definitively answer your question(s) and not rely on someones post here which may be right or wrong.

911er

Reactions
See post #16 on this thread if you haven't already. If that doesn't answer your question contact the manufactures. The manufactures would be able to definitively answer your question(s) and not rely on someones post here which may be right or wrong.
Thanks for that.

I guess I'm just thinking if any of the changes that the piggy back module makes cause an engine code to occur it could then look pretty obvious to a savvy service dealer.

I'm probably just being over cautious.

daument

Reactions
Did UM ecu and tcu a few weeks ago.... made a huge difference. I had a JB4 on my golf r before going big turbo and UM. I?d definitely recommend a jb4 if you don?t want to flash the ecu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lew Bob

Reactions
Following up on my previous concern about certification of the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade for emissions. I guess it is legit.
Last month APR received their approval from the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade, and our Alltracks are on the list. There is a copy of the CARB Executive approval on the bottom of their webpage. WOW I guess that's why they call California a progressive state. I wonder if it's available to the rest of the 49 states?

UPDATE 12/3: After looking into whether the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade is allowed in all 50 states it looks like the CARB Executive order may be acceptable to the 16 or so states mostly in the Notheast that have adopted California's standard and maybe the rest of the states, as well. IF anyone related to APR know about this issue please post or clarify on the APR website, so it is clear to all.
Interesting point. All of the piggy back chips I am looking at say they are for racing only. I am wondering if they increase pollution or just dont want to pay for certification.