City
Tualatin
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
I had an interesting experience about a month ago at an Audi dealer. The sales rep who I've worked with occasionally over the last couple of years called me when they took in a 2017 Q7 Premium Plus and wanted to know if I wanted to check it out pending detailing and inspection. I did take it on a 5-10 minute test drive and loved it! It threw no "Check Engine" lights and sounded good, so I eagerly awaited the detailing and inspection so I could take a longer test drive and perhaps start the purchase negotiations. However, four days later, she told me the car failed the dealer's inspection and would be headed to auction.

This concerns me, as I have seen a few Q7s at local car lots (admittedly, these are used car dealers that specialize in high-end imports like Audi, BMW, M-B, and Volvo, not your usual "Your Paycheck Is Your Credit" lot). If a car fails an Audi dealer inspection, does that mean that there is something seriously wrong with the car that they wouldn't take the time to bring it up to standards and let the car be someone else's problem? I would appreciate your advice about buying from an Audi dealer versus a used car lot.

(I have seen some Q7s taken in trade by a Mazda and VW dealer near me, but I am not so worried about them as they come with various dealer programs such as a six-month warranty or one year of routine maintenance, which I take to mean oil changes, tire rotation, and brake checks.)