AT suspension options

VWGALT

Reactions
Instead of hijacking Scottyboy's thread, I'd thought I'd post a new one and see what your experience has been.

Btw, I'm new here :). I've been researching AT suspension upgrades for a while and it seems the AT has been left out for now for specific suspension parts engineered just for the AT. I've contacted a few manufacturers directly and also some online shops all of who said they currently don't have anything. Of course, folks have been using Golf R, GTI and other pieces from the VW parts bin to make things work for the AT (mild to moderate lowering). I was told by Bilstein that any parts design for other application used on the AT at this time would void the warranty, at least from them (some shops have their own warranty).

I see that Solo Werks is coming out with coilovers for the AT next month, (date pushed back again), and wondered if anyone has any experience with them? The price seems quite low, esp. for CO, but maybe they are legit and the others are overpriced? Airlift products?

For now, I'll be patient and hopefully we'll see something soon for AT owners.

veedubtee

Reactions
Interesting about Bilstein - ECS Tuning is showing the B16 Electronic Coilover setup as fitting the Alltrack.

I am going down the MSS Spring route - I was guided towards the MSS Sports adjustable based on my email to the company. I found the most info on the XLR8 Performance when I found the MSS Mk7 installer notes as a PDF. I am going to try with stock dampers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
V

VWGALT

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Interesting about Bilstein - ECS Tuning is showing the B16 Electronic Coilover setup as fitting the Alltrack.

I am going down the MSS Spring route - I was guided towards the MSS Sports adjustable based on my email to the company. I found the most info on the XLR8 Performance when I found the MSS Mk7 installer notes as a PDF. I am going to try with stock dampers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You'll notice with ECS that towards the bottom of that page (the last time I looked) that they cover the parts with their own warranty, not Bilstein. I was a bit disappointed to learn about the drought of aftermarket suspension options with the AT at this point. The last contact with Bilstein was that they didn't have a product "yet", but to keep checking their website. I'd recommend also going to their site and filling out a product request form for the AT (the link shows up after doing a search for products via their catalog).

Reactions
Instead of hijacking Scottyboy's thread, I'd thought I'd post a new one and see what your experience has been.

Btw, I'm new here :). I've been researching AT suspension upgrades for a while and it seems the AT has been left out for now for specific suspension parts engineered just for the AT. I've contacted a few manufacturers directly and also some online shops all of who said they currently don't have anything. Of course, folks have been using Golf R, GTI and other pieces from the VW parts bin to make things work for the AT (mild to moderate lowering). I was told by Bilstein that any parts design for other application used on the AT at this time would void the warranty, at least from them (some shops have their own warranty).

I see that Solo Werks is coming out with coilovers for the AT next month, (date pushed back again), and wondered if anyone has any experience with them? The price seems quite low, esp. for CO, but maybe they are legit and the others are overpriced? Airlift products?

For now, I'll be patient and hopefully we'll see something soon for AT owners.
I have done the same as you (research) and found the same. I finally decided to go the Golf "R" springs and shocks route (bump stops too), it just made the most sense (to me). I know there's a lot of debate about lowering springs and using stock shocks but that just simply doesn't make sense to me, because when you put higher rate springs on, the the shock should be matched to the spring rate and spring height. When putting lowering springs on H&R, Eibach, VWR, they ALL have higher spring rate than the stock springs and using those W/O shocks that can handle the higher rate springs you'll probably have less than desirable ride and possibly have premature wear or shock failure...I didn't want to take the chance. If I were to have chosen aftermarket springs I would have went with Bilstein or Koni shocks too
You've more than likely noticed the Alltracks lowered on Eibach and the rest, lower the Alltrack around 2" the "R" springs looks to lower the least IMO that's quite a drop and more than I feel comfortable with...they do look really good though.
I haven't heard of the CO (Solo Werks) you're talking about but just about every car I've been in with CO's has been to stiff for me.
BTW I also got the Audi TT rear upper spring pads but not sure if I'll use them. Lastly, during research I read and saw many posts about "reverse rake" I couldn't figure out what they were talking about (as most if not all looked to be sitting level) and I came to the conclusion they are calling the gap between tire and fender in the rear comparing it to front gap reverse rake and that's not reverse rake, reverse rake would show the car angle to be pointing up in the front (as if loaded with something heavy in the trunk)...that's reverse rake IMO
I want to get aftermarket wheels and there are many to choose from (too many) haha. I have an SEL and the stock tire size is 225/45/18 and if I go with a 19" wheel I'm thinking of using 225'40/19 as it is closest to the 45's in OA diameter seems most are going with smaller tire with 35's I want to maintain as close to stock ride as possible and with 35 series there's not much sidewall...again IMO. I can't decide IF I want 18 or 19" the jury is still out.

OP
V

VWGALT

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I have done the same as you (research) and found the same. I finally decided to go the Golf "R" springs and shocks route (bump stops too), it just made the most sense (to me). I know there's a lot of debate about lowering springs and using stock shocks but that just simply doesn't make sense to me, because when you put higher rate springs on, the the shock should be matched to the spring rate and spring height. When putting lowering springs on H&R, Eibach, VWR, they ALL have higher spring rate than the stock springs and using those W/O shocks that can handle the higher rate springs you'll probably have less than desirable ride and possibly have premature wear or shock failure...I didn't want to take the chance. If I were to have chosen aftermarket springs I would have went with Bilstein or Koni shocks too
You've more than likely noticed the Alltracks lowered on Eibach and the rest, lower the Alltrack around 2" the "R" springs looks to lower the least IMO that's quite a drop and more than I feel comfortable with...they do look really good though.
I haven't heard of the CO (Solo Werks) you're talking about but just about every car I've been in with CO's has been to stiff for me.
BTW I also got the Audi TT rear upper spring pads but not sure if I'll use them. Lastly, during research I read and saw many posts about "reverse rake" I couldn't figure out what they were talking about (as most if not all looked to be sitting level) and I came to the conclusion they are calling the gap between tire and fender in the rear comparing it to front gap reverse rake and that's not reverse rake, reverse rake would show the car angle to be pointing up in the front (as if loaded with something heavy in the trunk)...that's reverse rake IMO
I want to get aftermarket wheels and there are many to choose from (too many) haha. I have an SEL and the stock tire size is 225/45/18 and if I go with a 19" wheel I'm thinking of using 225'40/19 as it is closest to the 45's in OA diameter seems most are going with smaller tire with 35's I want to maintain as close to stock ride as possible and with 35 series there's not much sidewall...again IMO. I can't decide IF I want 18 or 19" the jury is still out.
Thanks for all your research info. I think we're in the same boat and want similar things. I had an older Passat with H&R springs/Bilstein shocks and was the perfect setup (mild lowering while keeping the car planted on acceleration/braking and helped cornering a bit, but still not overly stiff ride). I have the 2018 AT SE (wanted the SEL, but was a bit over the budget).

You're right about the reverse rake - everyone like something different (higher rear or front or perfectly level). It would seem to be best to have slightly higher in back so when it's loaded it's not scraping the ground.

For wheel sizing, I found this vid quite helpful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPyg3ilw3KU. Some surprising results and factors in road types, weather conditions, etc. 18" is probably the sweet spot. We have the factory 19" our Tiguan SEL, and work well for it and that setup (rides like a high GTI). I'll be going the 18" route on the AT next Spring, but everyone has different goals. I'll also be doing the APR+ Stage 1 after the first oil change (5K).