About to replace tires on SEL and wondering what you think of these options

gj@ga_us

Reactions
I am approaching 45k on my original tires and treadwear is getting pretty low on two of them. The Conti TX's have served me well but I am thinking there must be something a bit better out there.

I am considering the following and wonder if any of you have tried them:
Continental ProContact LS
Vredestein QuadTrack 5
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus
Michelin Cross Climate
Michelin Premier A/S

Living in Georgia, snow is not a major factor but wet traction is. I have a VW because of driving dynamics so I'd hate to diminish that quality and I do care about road noise.

Anyone replaced their 18's yet?

Lynn T

Reactions
Following
I?m about to replace my 17?s
Mixed reviews on Pirelli
Continental?s are BAD IMO
I?m also considering the V Quatrac
Michelin seems to be good, more $
I also put Nexen on my list for an all season tire. I run Blizzaks in the winter.

Nokian

Reactions
I just got a set of the new Vredestein Quatrac Pro XL in 225-50 17 for my SE. Using them on OEM 17" rims. They are on 8/10" wider, but otherwise identical in size to stock. Tire Rack gave them an incredible recommendation. I've only got 3 miles on 'em so far, but time will tell. Only got about 26,000 on my Falkens (Consume Reports gave them a great review!)

OP
G

gj@ga_us

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
So a quick follow up. Back in early April I purchased the Vredestein QuadTrack 5 from Tire Rack. I had a local shop repair some curbing and mount the new tires. We've put about 5k miles so far and I cannot complain. They are quiet, handle well and seem to grip well in the rain. Overall a good purchase.

steel1

Reactions
Just put on a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 , 225/50/17.
Got a great deal at Tire Rack and saved an additional $40 picking them up
at a local distribution center about 45min away.
Only have a few hundred miles on them but smooth, quiet and grippy so far.

Reactions
I am approaching 45k on my original tires and treadwear is getting pretty low on two of them. The Conti TX's have served me well but I am thinking there must be something a bit better out there.

I am considering the following and wonder if any of you have tried them:
Continental ProContact LS
Vredestein QuadTrack 5
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus
Michelin Cross Climate
Michelin Premier A/S

Living in Georgia, snow is not a major factor but wet traction is. I have a VW because of driving dynamics so I'd hate to diminish that quality and I do care about road noise.

Anyone replaced their 18's yet?
I have 3 sets of wheels and absolutely love Continental DWS 06 tires but they don't have the right load rating so I deliberated endlessly and finally picked the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus and have to say they are quite an upgrade from the TX's they are classified as Ultra High Performance All Season and EVERYTHING about them is much better than the TX tires, the most surprising is they are quieter, smoother, and feel right at home taking corners at higher speed, they track straight as an arrow. I live in Washington state and we get more than our share of rain and haven't hydroplaned yet, now these tires only have 3kmi on them but so far I'm impressed. I'll be running DWS06 on the car for winter I had to get 235/40/18 because of load rating XL or 95. Pirelli load rating 95 tire size 225/45/18 cost $163ea

Last edited:
Reactions
City
Middleton
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Alltrack
I look at the Tire Rack crowd sourced reviews. You get far more input than paid or professional reviewers. You can get granular and look for particular characteristics that could be far more important for your driving than others - snow and ice performance for perfect examples.

I also value manufacturer support. There are lots of good tires but I've had experiences where the Goodyear and Michelin dealer networks were superior when you had problems.

For the OP mentioning no snow and quiet.... My wife and a friend have Michelin Primacy low profile tires. They are very quiet, good in wet and comfy but also have great steering. As associate who's got Premier says they're not as quiet as Primacy. We've had Pilot series and Primacy. Pilots are more of a no compromise performance tire.

I forget which Conti with the DWS stamp I have that replaced OEM Contis on our Outback, but they're very good. It's not same as dedicated snow tire but the Contis with that all weather DWS stamp are good. I'm over 1/2 the tread life and the S still shows.

When our last van did not get advertised tread life with a set of Michelins the dealer got a great adjustment for a new set that did perform. That stood out having dealt with same scenario with other brands.

Reactions
Update: The load rating for Conti DWS 06 tires size is 225/45/18 91 (stock SEL tire size but too low LR at 91) AND I have 245/40/18 95 (I was mistaken about the size I have) they are NOT 235's
The stock Conti TX tires are XL rated, but the DWS 06 don't come in XL just 91 for 225/45/18
I agree with you bitflogger, tire rack is a good place to tire research I haven't found where better, I think they have the most "user reviews" and compilation of tire info.

Last edited: