2019 Alltrack: low-pitched droning sound seemingly emanating from rear passenger side

Reactions
City
Cambridge
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack SE (6MT)
Hello all,

I've registered on this forum a few minutes ago, and this is my first post here.

I have a 2019 Golf Alltrack SE (6MT) with about 8500 miles on the odometer. I typically drive it on weekends only. A few months ago, shortly after having it have its 2 year / 20,000 mile service at the dealership, I noticed a low-pitched droning sound. It seems to be coming from the rear passenger side, though it's hard to say for sure. It doesn't change in pitch with changes in wheel speed, it's present whether I'm in gear or in neutral, and as long as the car is moving forward at all, even at a crawling pace such as in stop-&-go traffic or when slowing to a stop, the sound will be present once it has started. The sound does not appear if the car is moving backwards. I can hear the sound whether or not the windows are opened or closed. Also, it seems that the sound doesn't start right away when I start driving the car. It seems I need to be driving for say 20 minutes or so before I start hearing the sound. Maybe something is warming up and expanding.

The droning sound sounds somewhat like a lawnmower in the distance or some kind of electro-mechanical pump. Perhaps it's something vibrating.

I don't think any of this is relevant, since I've had this setup for almost 2 years without issue, but modifications include Golf R hatchback front springs, Golf R Variant rear springs, Bilstein B4 shocks/struts, and Audi TT spring pads. Also, a Golf R hatchback rear sway bar and Moog end links were swapped in).

It was suggested in another forum where I asked about this that I get the rear end of the car up and test for loose/vibrating parts. Before I may try doing that, I figured I'd try asking here to to see if anyone else has run into this gremlin, so I can have a more focused search.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tbax

Reactions
City
DENVER
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 VW Alltrack S
I also just registered today to inquire about tires and found answers. Interestingly, I had the identical suspension upgrades done at about 30,000 miles on my 2018 Alltrack 6MT and have also noticed the drumming sound which I have accepted as a small trade off for the better ride and handling. I am also replacing my worn tires so maybe there will be a change. The drumming remind me of the sound I get after routine tire rotation, which usually abates in a few hundred miles.

Corky

Reactions
City
Toronto
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2017 Alltrack
I have a wrrring sound that comes from rear of car hand starts at about 60-90km/h. Happens in neutral as well. Not sure if is the same you are talking about.

Dealership checked out suspension and drivetrain but found nothing. I did put new tires on as the factory continentals were terrible.

I suspect its in drivetrain somewhere. Maybe a bearing?

Look forward to anything anyone can share.

Thanks

Reactions
City
Amherst
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack SEL
For what it’s worth I hear the same thing and often wonder I think it’s just the car… I thought it might be some sort of bearing but it’s the same noise description in the same location.

OP
A
Reactions
City
Cambridge
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Golf Alltrack SE (6MT)
Thread Starter #5
Well, I took my car in for its 3 year service approximately 1 year after this sound started presenting itself. It turned out that, when I had had some suspension work done by an independent shop, they didn't properly re-secure the wheel-well liner. So, over time, it loosened to the point where it was leaning against something (brake shield?) that was vibrating, resulting in it itself vibrating and producing the droning sound.