VW Ordering Process?

RobynNJ

Reactions
Can anyone who ordered and received their Alltrack tell me what kind of status updates to expect during the process?

I have only ever ordered one car in the past and it was a MINI. That ordering experience was wonderful because you could log into a portal and check the status of your car at any time. It would tell you when it had begun production, when it was in the paint shop, finished, at the dock awaiting transport, loaded on a boat, when it arrived at it's final port, and when it left port headed to the dealer.

VW unfortunately doesn't offer that so I will have to bug my dealer, but what I'm curious about is how much will he be able to tell me? Are there "in production", "production completed", "awaiting transport", etc. stages that he'll be able to track and if so what are those stages if anyone knows. I'd like to know something is happening, but at the same time, if VW gives them little info, I also don't want to be a complete pest calling him constantly.

I was on the MINI portal daily seeing what was happening and when they told me which ship it had been loaded on, I was even able to track the ship as it crossed the Atlantic. It made the waiting process almost enjoyable. Right now, with VW, it almost feels like I haven't ordered a car apart from the fact that a charge for the deposit will show up on my credit car bill this month. :(

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can offer.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Before you can special order from your dealer they need to have allocation. Once you place the order the dealer can tell you when the order has been received, when the vehicle hits the production line, when it leaves the plant and when it arrives at port. They can also tell you when its being delivered to the dealer and when they expect it to arrive. My salesman would give me order updates every two weeks which felt like it took forever lol. Hope that helps.

OP
R

RobynNJ

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Before you can special order from your dealer they need to have allocation. Once you place the order the dealer can tell you when the order has been received, when the vehicle hits the production line, when it leaves the plant and when it arrives at port. They can also tell you when its being delivered to the dealer and when they expect it to arrive. My salesman would give me order updates every two weeks which felt like it took forever lol. Hope that helps.
So assuming they get allocation I should expect to maybe hear something every couple weeks. That is helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
So assuming they get allocation I should expect to maybe hear something every couple weeks. That is helpful. Thanks!

It depends on your sales person and what you ask of them ahead of time, mine was wonderful at providing updates.

OP
R

RobynNJ

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
It depends on your sales person and what you ask of them ahead of time, mine was wonderful at providing updates.
Well mine is an enthusiastic GTI owner himself. I told him how great the ordering experience was with MINI. He seemed disappointed VW doesn't offer anything like that but did say he would keep me updated. I was just curious what I might expect.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Sounds like you found a great salesman.[like]

Well mine is an enthusiastic GTI owner himself. I told him how great the ordering experience was with MINI. He seemed disappointed VW doesn't offer anything like that but did say he would keep me updated. I was just curious what I might expect.