Vibration Issues

shreck64

Reactions
I have a 2017 S model and i am having an intermittent vibration while on the interstate (70mph+) it ranges from mild to severe. i have taken it to the local dealer and they say that everything was checked ( tire balance, drive train, steering and front end ) and found nothing wrong. I do understand that the vehicle has a stiffer ride, but i have owned 2 sports cars that were far stiffer and did not have this issue. I am really concerned about this and was just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. I purchased the vehicle for me and my wife to make road trips in and other than the vibration i love the vehicle. it is bad enough that my wife will not drive the vehicle!

Sailby2

Reactions
When we decided on the Alltrack, we test drove 2 identically equipped SELs. One had a noticeable vibration while traveling on the interstate at speeds above 60+. The wheel shook badly enough and the ride was so jiggly that I brought the car back and said I wanted to try another car. The next car was like a completely different ride. No vibration at all. The dealer seemed indifferent to my observations as if to say I was imagining something. Needless to say we bought the car that did not shake. We now have about 2500 miles on the car and the only time I notice anything close to vibration is when applying the brakes hard. Otherwise, the ride is surprisingly smooth. If I were you, I'd keep pressuring the dealer to make it right. Try driving another Alltrack and see if it's different from yours. Hope you have some success sorting this out. Regards,

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks that is a big help. I think I will get in touch with Volkswagen and see what they have to say, but will be back at the dealers Monday

Reactions
I am curious what you found out. Our alltrack had a vibration at 40MPH I took it to the dealer and they rebalanced the tires and it has gone away. that said every so often I feel a vibration that seems to be related to the road surface, it seems to appear on the same road. this one is much less noticeable than the first one at 40MPH

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
After talking with Volkswagen they said you should not have vibrations while driving the vehicle. My local dealer also checked the balance on the tires and supposedly checked the drive train and anything else that may cause a vibration. All of this in about an hour including a 15mi. test drive. I was told the vibration was caused by imperfections in the road. But yet the Hyundai i traded in on this had a much rougher ride but had no issues with vibrations on the same roads at the same or higher speeds. If you are having problems with vibrations call Volkswagen or e-mail them and they will open you a case# and if you request will get in touch with your local dealer.

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
taking it back to the dealer 2/2/18 this was set up by Volkswagen. one of their tech. will test drive the vehicle and i will go along. afterward there will be a conference call with me the dealer and a Rep. from Volkswagen. i am sure they will stick with the imperfections in the road story, but the stretch we will be going on has just been worked on for about 2 months and is completely smooth. i have done some other research and found they have had issues with the axles that were sourced from Mexico and problems with the Falken tires. i have even seen people post that they have been offered a different vehicle or a buy back from Volkswagen. I also requested to drive one of the vehicles on the dealers lot for comparison. I will update this after I get finished at the dealers.

Sailby2

Reactions
Shreck64, Hope you get some resolution. If it's at all helpful, I'd more than happy to tell a corporate rep of my experience driving two duplicate cars over the same road surface with completely different resultant rides.

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
That would be great. if we do not come up with a resolution to the problem I will see if we can make that happen.

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
well an update the head of VW NA is coming down to drive my vehicle next week so we will see what happens. i hope that a fix is found may help other owners.

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
well another update. the Volkswagen rep. did not keep the appt. pushed out another week. I have contacted my credit union and explained the problems i am having and was told to let them know what the final outcome from VW is. the vibration gets worse every day. if i had another vehicle to drive i would park it.

Reactions
well another update. the Volkswagen rep. did not keep the appt. pushed out another week. I have contacted my credit union and explained the problems i am having and was told to let them know what the final outcome from VW is. the vibration gets worse every day. if i had another vehicle to drive i would park it.
Bummer man, thanks for updating us on this.

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
OK another update. I was set up with an appointment through Volkswagen for one of their quality engineers to drive and evaluate my vehicle after being contacted the previous day by a Volkswagen rep. that informed me that the vibrations were a normal part of the vehicle operation. Well i then inquired that the vehicle was engineered to vibrate while traveling at interstate speeds why did all of them not do that as there are plenty of owners who are not having this issue. So i dropped the car off this morning at 7:30 and had hoped to meet the person that was going to go through vehicle. Well they were late and as i work nights and only slept for 2 hours i drove home in the loaner that was provided with the assurance from the service manager at the dealership that i would be able to pick up my car before i went to work at 2PM. It is now almost 2AM and i still have the loaner! I do not know if they think i am trying to beat them out of something or put egg on their face. Nothing is further from my mind i really like this vehicle it is one of the best i have driven and i do not want to get rid of it. they just need to upfront and honest that some of them have a problem come up with a fix and let everyone enjoy the vehicle the way it was engineered to perform. So well see what tomorrow brings. If you are having problems like this please get in touch with Volkswagen the only way to get this resolved is to speak out and let them know that the quality they are known for is having a little bit of a bad day!

VWFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
[MENTION=131]shreck64[/MENTION] have you asked the dealer if you can take another Alltrack out for a test drive to see whether another one has similar vibrations?

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
This will be the final update on this issue. the Volkswagen engineer after driving the vehicle recommended the tires be forced balanced. they had checked good on spin balance but 2 rear tires show out of round on force balance. i had recommended that the tires be forced balanced the first time i took it to the dealer and was told that was checked. well results were vehicle now drives like a new car. vibration is gone. going to have a follow up with Volkswagen on Monday. will suggest that they pay attention to their customers and warn dealers about covering up problems and telling customers that basically they do not know how a vehicle should perform. this has been about 6 weeks till it has been put to bed and it could have been much sooner had someone given a crap about the input the customer was giving. Volkswagen has a good reputation of building a quality vehicle and i still agree with it. the Alltrack is a bad ass ride. just need to quit sweeping problems under the rug and take care of the owners because we will respect you for it. Happy motoring because now i am!

Reactions
I too had the same vibration on my brand new car with 480 miles. I took it back quickly and luckily my dealer had a tire Force Balancing machine. They tested and 3 of 4 tires failed. One they were able to reorient the tire on the rim and pass the other two tires did not pass. I think it was more than 25% out of spec. (Picture square Flintstones tires :) Dealer replaced with similar Falken tires. The cause may be because the new car sat at the dealership lot for a long time without moving.

The force balancing machine is great I noticed on two tires they were able to position the tire on the rim and have it balance without any wheel weights. My car is now very smooth at any speed.

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Well here we go problem #2. the infortainment system has stopped working as of 2.5 weeks ago. the dealer has tried to re-download the software twice, but my car does not wish to talk to them. So everyone is scratching their heads. While driving home from work on 4/15 down the interstate there was a very loud humming inside the cabin it sounded like a weather alert that you would hear on the TV or radio which lasted about 2min. As i was close to my exit i decided to wait and pull over there as there were no warning lights nor could i smell anything burning. As i was pulling off of the exit there was a loud pop that come through the speakers so i am not sure if they were damaged as the system does not work. When i got home i tried to get the system to boot up but it would have none of that. When i started the car the next day to go to work the screen was blue and said "emergency update" that stayed up for about 20 min. on the way to work and then the system shut down. I believe i may be the only one with the HAL9000 upgrade. I am wait to explain to it that i am not "Dave" and would it please unlock the doors. I have owned this car for almost 6 months and have had problems for all of about 2-3 weeks. I do hope everyone else who owns one is not going through what i am. Just wondering when Volkswagen is going to say "look you have a bad one let us swap it out for you".

Reactions
Well here we go problem #2. the infortainment system has stopped working as of 2.5 weeks ago. the dealer has tried to re-download the software twice, but my car does not wish to talk to them. So everyone is scratching their heads. While driving home from work on 4/15 down the interstate there was a very loud humming inside the cabin it sounded like a weather alert that you would hear on the TV or radio which lasted about 2min. As i was close to my exit i decided to wait and pull over there as there were no warning lights nor could i smell anything burning. As i was pulling off of the exit there was a loud pop that come through the speakers so i am not sure if they were damaged as the system does not work. When i got home i tried to get the system to boot up but it would have none of that. When i started the car the next day to go to work the screen was blue and said "emergency update" that stayed up for about 20 min. on the way to work and then the system shut down. I believe i may be the only one with the HAL9000 upgrade. I am wait to explain to it that i am not "Dave" and would it please unlock the doors. I have owned this car for almost 6 months and have had problems for all of about 2-3 weeks. I do hope everyone else who owns one is not going through what i am. Just wondering when Volkswagen is going to say "look you have a bad one let us swap it out for you".
Man what a terrible experience you're going through. What are the lemon laws like where you live?

OP
S

shreck64

Reactions
Thread Starter #18
I have to give them 3 chances to repair the vehicle for the same issue. I take it you are not having any of these problems? The bad thing is it is such a good car when is working right. I just want one that works! And even if they can repair what is wrong with the one i have i just do not trust it any longer.

Reactions
I have to give them 3 chances to repair the vehicle for the same issue. I take it you are not having any of these problems? The bad thing is it is such a good car when is working right. I just want one that works! And even if they can repair what is wrong with the one i have i just do not trust it any longer.
Knock on wood, I've been problem free so far.

rh3662

Reactions
Purchased my 2018 Alltrack SEL February 2019. It sat on the lot for a while, delivery to the dealership was March 2018. Since delivery I've had vibration problems around 65-70 mph. Found this thread and decided to take it back to the dealership at around 700 miles to have them check the balance on all the tires. According to the service rep., all four tires had "flat spots" on them and the dealer replaced all four with a new set. Problem gone. According to the service rep. that can happen if a car sits for a long time on the lot. Mine had around 60 miles on it so it probably wasn't moved a lot. Alltrack's aren't that popular in the Atlanta area and I've only seen one other one on the road here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S New Member Introduction 2
M Volkswagen Golf Alltrack General Discussion Forum 9