Small motor, fan, pump running after key off

Reactions
Title describes it. After I stop and turn off car can hear a small hum coming from firewall.
Pop the hood and can not hear as well or locate. Can't imagine from inside under dash.
Any ideas what it is? Coolant pump for turbo?

PaulGiz

Reactions
Turbochargers run very, very hot. They turn at over 100,000 RPM, half filled with exhaust gases.

Once upon a time, users of turbocharged cars were told to idle the car for a few minutes before shutting the car off, to let the turbo cool.

VW runs the fan after you shut the car off for a while, to cool off the engine compartment and let the turbo come down in temperature so you don't have to remember to do that.

It's intentional and will allow your turbo's bearings to last much longer.

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
That is what I suspected but so quiet doesn't sound like cooling fan.
Not sure if still a thing....for a while was an aftermarket for turbo timers.
Would keep car idleing or just run fans for a while after key off.

NJAKel

Reactions
I have a question about this same fan. I just traded in a 2016 GSW for a 2018 Alltrack that I picked up Thursday night.

In the GSW, it was a very typical spinning fan noise. In the Alltrack, it sounds more like a small motor running/buzzing, but not at all like a fan spinning (if that makes sense). I don't know if I'm just being paranoid and the different sound is normal for this car? Or should I get it back to the dealer and have it checked asap to make sure the fan is actually working properly?

Thanks for any input!

VWGALT

Reactions
I have a question about this same fan. I just traded in a 2016 GSW for a 2018 Alltrack that I picked up Thursday night.

In the GSW, it was a very typical spinning fan noise. In the Alltrack, it sounds more like a small motor running/buzzing, but not at all like a fan spinning (if that makes sense). I don't know if I'm just being paranoid and the different sound is normal for this car? Or should I get it back to the dealer and have it checked asap to make sure the fan is actually working properly?

Thanks for any input!
The AT has an oil cooler that runs after shutdown to cool/lubricate the Turbo. Normal operation...sounds like a little animal in there making little clicking noises and such.