Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Seeking Audi Wisdom

YngDddy

Reactions
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 S3
I'm a first-time Audi owner and first-time owner of a performance car. Aside from basic maintenance actions (oil change, tire rotation, alignment, brakes, etc.) I'm a novice when it comes to looking out for what needs upkeep/replacement on a performance car. I list some specific questions below, but otherwise, feel free to offer your own best-practices and recommendations.

1. I've never owned a turbo engine auto. What are the top things I need to keep in mind for keeping the engine running well?

2. What are some hard lessons you have learned either with your S3 or other performance cars that you'd recommend new drivers keep in mind?

3. Are there any general maintenance insights (positive or critical) about Audi as a carmaker that I might not be aware of?

4. Other than the owner's manual, is there another handy reference guide that experienced owners recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions
City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2012 Audi S3
I'm a first-time Audi owner and first-time owner of a performance car. Aside from basic maintenance actions (oil change, tire rotation, alignment, brakes, etc.) I'm a novice when it comes to looking out for what needs upkeep/replacement on a performance car. I list some specific questions below, but otherwise, feel free to offer your own best-practices and recommendations.

1. I've never owned a turbo engine auto. What are the top things I need to keep in mind for keeping the engine running well?

2. What are some hard lessons you have learned either with your S3 or other performance cars that you'd recommend new drivers keep in mind?

3. Are there any general maintenance insights (positive or critical) about Audi as a carmaker that I might not be aware of?

4. Other than the owner's manual, is there another handy reference guide that experienced owners recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I need the answers to this also, great question...👏🏾

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
1. turbo nothing different pretty much if you're beating on the car the cooler you can get the car after before shutting it off helps cool it down. A turbo timber is nice for longevity that keeps pumping oil through it to cool it down after your shut off the engine but I'm not that hard core never added one. Frequent oil changes are probably the best maintenance to keep it healthy.

2. Nothing really but keeping up with the recommended maintenance all of the Audi's and BMW's have been pretty solid if you just follow the maintenance and the previous owner followed the maintenance schedules I haven't had any problems.

3. Haldex the most important fluid change on the car.

4. I did purchase the repair manual from https://www.factory-manuals.com Not sure if they are copied or legal but I wanted a factory repair manual for my car and couldn't find a Haynes or Chilton manual. Use your own judgment if you want to purchase something like this.

Reactions
City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2012 Audi S3
1. turbo nothing different pretty much if you're beating on the car the cooler you can get the car after before shutting it off helps cool it down. A turbo timber is nice for longevity that keeps pumping oil through it to cool it down after your shut off the engine but I'm not that hard core never added one. Frequent oil changes are probably the best maintenance to keep it healthy.

2. Nothing really but keeping up with the recommended maintenance all of the Audi's and BMW's have been pretty solid if you just follow the maintenance and the previous owner followed the maintenance schedules I haven't had any problems.

4. I did purchase the repair manual from https://www.factory-manuals.com Not sure if they are copied or legal but I wanted a factory repair manual for my car and couldn't find a Haynes or Chilton manual. Use your own judgment if you want to purchase something like this.

Thank you mate, 🤜🏾❤

OP
Y

YngDddy

Reactions
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 S3
Thread Starter #5

appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
this is my personal experience:

depending on the year, the s3 had turbo issues. the first-gen (2015-?? models) was usually replaced. i don't know the last years it was effected. the long story of it. a bad batch of turbos was installed and after a while it would break. your mileage was dependent on if you decided to tune the car. many thought of the issue being the tune, and it was...sort of. because the tune turned off all sensors to warn the owner of any issues the turbo would not just stop working but being forced to keep running parts that began to break off went into the engine chamber and destroyed the whole block. the other part is that a tune would cause an increase stress to the turbo and obviously it would break sooner than later.
in my case I'm not. so the car just basically went into limp mode. and since it was under the warranty time frame i got the whole turbo replaced. the dealership said they also changed out my bad coils and spark plugs, but recently i changed them and i have to say i don't think they really did. lots of evidence of them not doing the job. you can look back at earlier posting about tuned s3 and broken engines.

but to care for it, i would say just change out the oil with what they recommend. don't go with something else. i noticed that audi cars seems to be super sensitive to what is used. not to say it wont work with something else but its a gamble if you do.

change all the fluids often. do it at the scheduled time. you'll be surprised your supposed to change things out more often than you realize. replace parts that need them.
these are samples of when i do mine.
brake fluid flush 20-25k miles
coolant flush (you must use the specific oem one or your cause issues) 15k or less
oil and filter 5k
dsg 50k or less
haldex 50k or less
bevel box 50k or less
air filter 50k or less
cabin filter 50k or less

etc... (cant remember them all)

this subject is rarely talked about in the audi community.
audi cars need to have good alignment parts upgrade and do an alignment often. the shitty subframe is not a good way to align this thing. i was told that to get some proper numbers they have to adjust the subframe as a technique. i ended up buying bushing upgrades and proper adjustable lca with toe/camber/caster, adj camber arms, rear adj arms, etc. to get the right numbers. many who owns this car only think of power mods but just getting it to drive right cant be achieved with what this expensive car lacks has from the mfg. they cut out so much that its comical. so we have to rely on aftermarket shops to make these items.
there are more to this but i can recall.

do not use audi dealerships for maintenance in general. their tech has been proven to be a hit or miss at times. the new thing is they will change your control modules with updates and that might not be to your benefit. one thing they are doing is stopping your monitor from lowering with your button on the dash. audi believes it to be against DOT regulations. so many of the 2017+ audi cars are forced to do this without the owner's authorization/knowledge at the time. and it cant be returned back.
this is just one thing that comes to mind right now.

i have been using youtube. i would like to get the manual book myself one day. finding the right one the dealership uses would be handy.

Last edited: