Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

rear trunk amp rack

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
so im am looking into begging my R& D on how creating a new amp rack for the rear trunk area. that way i can start implementing a way to get the new zapco amps installed and enjoy the upgraded sound. this project should take about a year or so to complete (maybe longer)??? i dont want to rush it as i tend to enjoy the work and sometimes new idea and products come my way.

for now a new product i think would work out very well for my new construct of the amp rack has come into view. i dont know if it will look awesome but i can only experiment to find out.

ill need to first take apart the rear liners of the trunk compartment completly to see whats behind there. i wish i was good at video recording and editing to make a documentation of my work on this long project. but i can take photos. if anyone is good at doing videos and is in the OC area it would be awesome to get together and have a fun time at this.

my first step is to take the trunk apart. with the trunk panel out i can then see where i can mount and install any attaching points. i know the size and strength the rack needs to be as these zapco amps are super heavy and long. this makes proper attachment points crucial. my last attempt of this type of rack was done with welding and custom cut frames i designed but in the end it looked really good in my honda. i forgot to mention its going to be an aluminum frame amp rack again. this time i wont be implementing welding but only with bolts and nuts. its going to be something i can do with simple wood working tools to cut and design.

ill post up photos of the rear trunk area soon.

Last edited:
OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #2
the trunk fram sample materials just arrived today. ill be making some designs with this type of material and start taking measurements once i take the trunk apart. the trunk will take some time as im in the middle of some work.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #3
i have been super busy, i have not had a chance to even work on this since last time.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #4
finally now making a forward movement on this. im ordering some parts and tools.

i need to make sure i make a lot of measuring and planning on this before doing the final cuts on the car.

today i did add in some rivenut plus M5. this will give me a point of reference on to where i can do the mounts behind the side panels in the trunk.
in case you don't know what a rivenut plus is, its a way to thread into a sheet of metal or anything similar to that. the difference with a "plus" that its stronger than the other version. being i need it to hold up a very heavy amp and the structural metal frame, it needs to be super strong. this M5 rivenut is the biggest size i can fit and the strongest option available. ill have some pics soon.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #5
some parts came in. looks exciting but i don't know if i have time to do the full install.
still need to get the nav tv zen v unit.

the subwoofer.
IMG_20220218_1510190.jpg

fits perfectly from the top down.
my cardboard template shows that the opening is exactly 7.5inches circular.

IMG_20220218_1513134.jpg

IMG_20220218_1513203.jpg

the reasons i choose this subwoofer is that it hits all my criteria's.
1. fitment is better than most others with less heavy moding.
2. don't need to cut the current opening in the rear deck. something i don't want to do. it is already considered a weak structure, cutting it would just worsen the problem.
3. quality brand. counting on true RMS within the brand quality, it will help lessen any calculation errors that i may have made.
4. everyone i have read doing this mod, seems to have the issue of not getting the most out of a none enclosure. this is a IB subwoofer, infinite baffle. should lessen the non-box trunk bass problem. ill be testing this out for sure.

but i wont be doing that. lolz

ill be using this here. its not done but you'll see how it works once i have time to get to it.

IMG_20220211_1348595.jpg

IMG_20220211_1349181.jpg

IMG_20220211_1349323.jpg

IMG_20220211_1350272.jpg

Last edited: