No Speed/Red Light Camera Alerts - A Solution

kapricorn

Reactions
Hi All,
I have found a solution to the absence of red light/fixed camera alerts in the Alltrack Navigation system which I complained about on another thread I opened earlier this week.

It's a free and easy to use app for mobile phones, and it?s called Tom Tom Speed Cameras. Having a Samsung Phone I downloaded it from Google Play so you'd also find something for iphones where you usually get your apps from.

Over the last couple of days I tested it out and it worked well, alerting me with either a tone or a clearly spoken voice stating the camera type and max speed. It even picked up two police cars sneakily parked on the side of the M4 motorway when we drove up to the Blue Mountains west of Sydney yesterday, so I was impressed by that. It also seems to identify the camera only if it?s in the direction of travel so you don?t get alerts that are irrelevant.

Whilst it is free to download, its accuracy depends on users confirming that the camera is still there by pushing a green tick or a red cross that is occasionally displayed on the screen. This only seems to happen when the camera hasn?t been recently confirmed by another driver. Therefore, you need to allow Tom Tom to receive information from your phone (in the installation process) in order to maintain the accuracy of the system.

There are different views available but I like the map view because it shows the progress of your car and the location of all the cameras so you can zoom in and out to get a better view of what?s ahead of you. When you approach a camera, the tone or spoken warning is given 20 secs in advance so that you have time to check your speed.

It means having the app open all the time and your phone turned on all the time you are driving, so you'd need to connect it to power. I had it positioned in the cup holders section so that it could still get the satellite reception but I'm going to buy a windscreen holder.

Well I guess that sums up the main points of the app. I?m still testing it out, so over time I?m sure I?ll find more pros and cons. I?d really like to get my phone working through the in-car sound system because if you like cranking up the sound when Stairway to Heaven comes on, you may miss the camera alert in the background. (If anyone knows how to do that please advise in a step by step procedure). Fines in Sydney are outrageously high and when that dreaded ?bluey arrives? in the mail, you don?t want to be singing ?Highway to Hell? !

Let me know your own experiences if you decide to try it out.
Cheers
Kapricorn