Need help with 2017 Alltrack decision

steel1

Reactions
Hello all just joined the forum to try and get some informed opinions on a 2017 Alltrack. Let me first say that I've never owned a VW before but have a good friend who is loyal to the brand.
In the market for a new car and went to the local VW dealer to drive a 2017 S 4motion Alltrack (on the advice of my VW buddy). Gotta say I was happy with the test drive and fit/finish of the car. The saleswoman gave me a great price and now I am seriously considering making the purchase but am a little concerned with some of the reliability reviews I've seen. My friend only drives TDI's so I would like some advise from gas motor people.
I have always done all my own maintenance and take great care of my vehicles, have run multiple Japanese cars well over 150k without major repairs.
Is the 1.8 Turbo and 6 speed DSG a reliable drivetrain?
Are all the stories of electrical gremlins true or exenterated?
Any advise appreciated!

Reactions
The 1.8 TSI in these Alltracks are tried and tested with overall robustness. The 6 spd DSG will handle much more HP than what this engine gives. You just need to learn the quirks of the box. Remember it is essentially a manual with a automatic clutch. A totally different animal to the traditional auto slushbox or CVT transmission. The drivetrain is basically what is inder the Golf R. If you leave your Alltrack with a stock tune and service it as recommended, all should be good.

OP
S

steel1

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...my buddy said basically the same thing as far as with scheduled maintenance should be very reliable.
I've ruled out looking at anything with a CVT and doing a lot of driving here in the Northeast AWD is a must along with reasonable mpg, the Alltrack seems
to have a niche between small SUV and AWD sedan. I was leaning towards getting the 2018 RAV4 Adventure but now I
have to do some serious thinking......

PaulGiz

Reactions
My last VW -- a 2012 Golf went about 120,000 miles before I had any issues. Gas, oil, filters and one set of sparkplugs.

I kept it another 30,000, making repairs as needed -- all peripheral stuff (alternator, broken spring, hole in AC condenser, etc.).

The car never stranded me.

jonnieoh

Reactions
This is my fourth VW, (all Golf-based), and I'm here to tell you that the "poor reliability" hype that you hear about VW's is total crap. I've had absolutely no reliability issues, in all my decades of VW ownership. I love VW, and will continue to.