Hidden USB cable to KUDO mount

bigdecals

Reactions
Hello All, simple half hour hack to hide my USB wire within the Alltrack console. Photos should tell the story. Here are the steps:
(1) with the car off, and the e-brake applied put the wagon in drive. Turn ignition off.
(2) CAREFULLY remove the trim around your heater knobs.
(3) while half closing the slow rising hatch, pull up & out to remove the entire unit that holds the USB & audio cable. Carefully unplug the two connectors.
(4) Drill a 13mm to 1/2" hole in the box (See photo) in the upper corner.
(5) gently pull off the side trim in the seating area, you do not have to remove the entire piece.
Snake your USB cable towards the rear.
(6) carefully put everything back in reverse, this entire process took me less than 30 minutes.
(7) rejoice and not having to look at wires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeper

Reactions
I did something similar on my other Golf. The wife hasn't okay'd that I do it to the Alltrack though.

I got the instructions from GolfDave over on the MK7 forum.

I can't believe the punishment for using the USB port means that you have to stare at the gaping hole. SMH

OP
bigdecals

bigdecals

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I did something similar on my other Golf. The wife hasn't okay'd that I do it to the Alltrack though.

I got the instructions from GolfDave over on the MK7 forum.

I can't believe the punishment for using the USB port means that you have to stare at the gaping hole. SMH

Hi Sleeper, although the hole is drilled big so it can pass through, it's not seen at all from sitting in the car.
The only people to see it are me & the forum! Lol!

It was annoying me to drive with the flap open (OCD)......

Sleeper

Reactions
I meant the hole left by not being able to shut the door with a USB plugged in. I don't understand why they designed it that way.

Your Routing was probably much easier and faster. I took about 2 hours and two attempts. I lost my nerve getting the trim off around the vents the first time

VWFan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
Great write up [MENTION=45]bigdecals[/MENTION], this is such a great idea.

Sleeper

Reactions
I can't find ten online, but PM me and I can sent you the excellent write up by GolfDave for my USB Routing.

Here's a peak

Last edited:

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
That looks really clean.

OP
bigdecals

bigdecals

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Hello All, simple half hour hack to hide my USB wire within the Alltrack console. Photos should tell the story. Here are the steps:
(1) with the car off, and the e-brake applied put the wagon in drive. Turn ignition off.
(2) CAREFULLY remove the trim around your heater knobs.
(3) while half closing the slow rising hatch, pull up & out to remove the entire unit that holds the USB & audio cable. Carefully unplug the two connectors.
(4) Drill a 13mm to 1/2" hole in the box (See photo) in the upper corner.
(5) gently pull off the side trim in the seating area, you do not have to remove the entire piece.
Snake your USB cable towards the rear.
(6) carefully put everything back in reverse, this entire process took me less than 30 minutes.
(7) rejoice and not having to look at wires!

Ordered a new 90 degree cable, drilled another hole to accommodate.
Much cleaner & I'm making the car lighter! LOL!

PaulGiz

Reactions
When the phone is plugged in, I control it through the Android Auto, so I don't need to even see the phone.

I plug it in, stick it in the cubby and I'm done. I have 6" right angle cable so I can even shut the door.

I get good 4G and phone reception everywhere so far.

smtenney

Reactions
Very nice work and write-ups!!
👍🏼👍🏼

Reactions
Why did VW only give us one usb port? Two ports would have been much better, could have both ipod AND phone wired and charging instead of having to use 12v outlet with charging plug. Does anyone know if it's possible to add a usb port?

Reactions
Why did VW only give us one usb port? Two ports would have been much better, could have both ipod AND phone wired and charging instead of having to use 12v outlet with charging plug. Does anyone know if it's possible to add a usb port?
I wondered the same, but an easy fix I found was to plug a 12V-USB car charger adapter into the 12V outlet under the armrest. Make sure you get a high wattage one or maybe a double USB outlet like the Belkin Quick Charge 3.0 that can handle up to 18 watts.

Reactions
I wondered the same, but an easy fix I found was to plug a 12V-USB car charger adapter into the 12V outlet under the armrest. Make sure you get a high wattage one or maybe a double USB outlet like the Belkin Quick Charge 3.0 that can handle up to 18 watts.
I do have a charger plugged in but have to deal with wires just laying around in a area that should be free of such stuff, I'd like it if it were more tidy also if there were another usb I don't think I'd have to connect phone through Bluetooth (and remember to shut off when out of car so I don't miss calls) the built in usb
in tray is used for my ipod which I'll never disconnect. Speaking of that connection (usb) I found a pretty nice short 10" cable usb to 30-pin Apple sync/charge cable that works really well and it's cheap, on amazon for anyone interested here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/TRIPP-30-Pin...TE+30-Pin+to+10''+USB+Sync+Charge+Cable+Apple

Arm&Hammer...I have the Belkin Quick Charge 2.0 plugged into lighter socket charges plenty fast pretty much the same as 3.0 but a bit slower than 2.0 I'd guess.