Welcome to the #1 Volkswagen Arteon Forum and Volkswagen Arteon community dedicated to Volkswagen Arteon owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Volkswagen Arteon Forum today!

Help with engine

Mikeymlon

Reactions
City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volkswagen Arteon 1.5 TSI evo act
Hello - thank you for this site. I bought a 2018 Volkswagen Arteon. The vehicle has 1.5 TSI evo act engine with a 6 speed manual ( perform from 4 - 2 cylinder)

Had to have an engine replacement due to piston slap. I was advised these engines loudly tick due to high bar rating of fuel from the injectors.

The engine and car are great, however, there is a slight knocking noise when low revving. ( Have video evidence) I had this noise before and after the engine replacement , so may be it us the norm, although I do find it difficult to believe Volkswagen would allow the engines to sound like this . Noise at low revs and tick over about a 1000 revs.

To me it sounds cam related.
I believe there are roller bearings assisting with the rocker guides which was my first thought.

The car runs well , extremely good fuel economy (approx 50 mpg) and good pulling power (no racing car). No one including Volkswagen can help.

Does anyone have an Arteon with this engine?

Does it make a knocking noise or explain what this is?

Is there anything I should know about this engine?

Any advice would be welcome

Many thanks Mike

john1rudio

Reactions
City
CHARLOTTE
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 VW Arteon SE-R line
How often do you change your engine oil?
I never followed the factory-recommended 10k (16093.44 KM) oil change. Doing it at those intervals is asking for trouble.
I have a different engine than yours (EA888 EVO4), and I change my oil every 5k (8046.72 KM).