Do you get less discount with ordering vs. picking one from a lot?

vwmxo

Reactions
I plan to order a 6MT, and I wonder if I have less leverage for discount because the dealer knows the allocation is slim.
Wondering if I should expect to pay similar to what people have been getting for picking out of the lot, so should I brace for higher out-the-door price than an automatic model?

Better question would be - how do I get the best deal if I'm ordering?

VWGALT

Reactions
I plan to order a 6MT, and I wonder if I have less leverage for discount because the dealer knows the allocation is slim.
Wondering if I should expect to pay similar to what people have been getting for picking out of the lot, so should I brace for higher out-the-door price than an automatic model?

Better question would be - how do I get the best deal if I'm ordering?
Baseline: If it's on the lot, that's what they want to sell you and you'll usually get a much better deal than trying to order something. Also, dealers trade with each other and all dealers know what's out on there, but will often pretend not to know in order to sell you what's sitting on their lot or another dealer's lot. I would do a search on VW.com after you do a "build" and try and locate a dealer that might have your config (you can also search TrueCar and other sites). The other battle you're also fighting is it's year-end time and 2019s are being shipped, so those will be more of a premium product as 2018s are sold out (probably few manuals left).

OP
V

vwmxo

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Baseline: If it's on the lot, that's what they want to sell you and you'll usually get a much better deal than trying to order something. Also, dealers trade with each other and all dealers know what's out on there, but will often pretend not to know in order to sell you what's sitting on their lot or another dealer's lot. I would do a search on VW.com after you do a "build" and try and locate a dealer that might have your config (you can also search TrueCar and other sites). The other battle you're also fighting is it's year-end time and 2019s are being shipped, so those will be more of a premium product as 2018s are sold out (probably few manuals left).
Yes, that all makes sense, thanks.

I don't see 2019 option on vw.com yet, even though I'm starting to see on online car sales sites. I'm guessing there will be plenty of time, but how long can one wait before placing an order for 2019, without fear of 'sorry, no more orders'? Can one wait till summer of 2019? I'm sure dealers won't know, or want you to know because they want to sell what they got. Would VWoA respond to questions like that?

VWGALT

Reactions
Yes, that all makes sense, thanks.

I don't see 2019 option on vw.com yet, even though I'm starting to see on online car sales sites. I'm guessing there will be plenty of time, but how long can one wait before placing an order for 2019, without fear of 'sorry, no more orders'? Can one wait till summer of 2019? I'm sure dealers won't know, or want you to know because they want to sell what they got. Would VWoA respond to questions like that?
<longWindedReply>
Nope, they'll refer you to a dealer. I wish car buying wasn't such a backwards affair anymore, but here we are 2019.

Ya, VWoA is a bit slow to update their site...the 2019 Passat is up there now. I have seen 2019s start trickling into dealers (they can also be at port, or in a wrap unseen on their lot), but if they have 2018s, they may not point that out. Maybe early summer would be the latest you could hold out for what you want. The reality is that VW produces cars in certain configurations and then sends them to dealers. Unless things have changed, they get what they get and then you go hunting the dealer network for it. I purchased my car (out of need) in late March and then saw the prices continually fall through the summer and then stop. There are also states that my end up with more than others due to need/want/weather/dealer forecasts, etc. and sometimes you can grab a flight to state where a dealer has 10 of these on their lot and they are priced to move.

My specific dealer here in the PNW doesn't like to stock a ton of cars but will work with you to find something as it gets shipped or is sitting at another dealer. Like I mentioned, they want to move what they have at any/all times and will deal more on that vs. what may be out there.

It's a bit of crap-shoot, but if you have something specific in mind, you should be able to find it through the summer, but once fall hits, then it's the Holidays and then they're already trying to clear out what they have. I'm sure you've noticed more new cars driving around the last two weeks of December - end of year, end of month and the good deals can be had. With VW, they don't do volume in the States, esp. on an AT, so say, unlike Honda/Toyota, you may be out of luck by that time. Let us know what you end up with!< /longWindedReply>

Sourceunkn

Reactions
Just bought my 2019. I wanted to order one but was told to provide $1000 nonrefundable deposit and no guarantee on price (due to not knowing what incentives would be available when the car finally arrives). Well, I couldn't stomach that. However, I can tell you that the dealers vary greatly on the offers for on-the-lot purchases. Anywhere from $0 to $5000 off for Dealer incentives (either simple discounts or VW Credit discount... provides some kickback to the dealer depending on the interest rate). On top of that are the VW incentives for military/first responder or recent graduate ($500 each) and VW Partnership with some businesses ($500 below invoice... or some dealers will simply give $500 off their best deal. check with your employer for partnership certificate). The amount they are willing to negotiate has everything to do with how much demand they are seeing for the exact car you want. If you choose one that multiple dealers has on-hand, then you can get a deal. I chose a car with only one in the entire US. Well, I got $2000 off through a 4.9% for 60 months through VW Credit, plus $500 for military, plus $500 for my VW Partnership certificate. So, a $3000 "discount". Am I happy? Heck yes. I love my Alltrack! Good luck on your deals everyone! I hope this is helpful! :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D For Sale 5