Brake dust!

Reactions
The brakes on my S are great. Nice feel and engagement, quiet but they dust as bad as a track pad. Never had a new vehicle that wheels so black after a few hundred miles. Have used aftermarket performance pads..... Akebono, EBC Green and Redstuff. Nothing like these. Anyone else notice or bothers? Any recommendations on an aftermarket pad?

RobynNJ

Reactions
I had similar brake dust issues with my MINI. Stock pads worked great, but crazy amounts of dust. I've tried Mintex and EBC Greenstuff pads, both were great and far, far less dust than stock pads. Performance wise, both of those were pretty equal, so when it comes time for new pads I've always just gone with whichever of those two I happened to find for less money. Never tried the EBC redstuff pads. If the stock VW pads are as dusty as the MINI's were may give the redstuff pads a go.

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I have the Redstuff on my Miatas, more of a ceramic compound so almost no dust. They are all around great, much better performance and wear than the Greens also.
Did some poking around other VW forums, seems dust is a common complaint. Most are changing to EBC or Akebono Euro pads

Reactions
I like Akebono Ceramic pads little to no dust and they're cheap have worked great on my Mk4 Jetta. The thing I don't like with my Alltrack is the surface rust that forms on the rotors after a wet day (PNW) almost daily brake squeak backing out of driveway (if it rained the day before).
It always seems like stock pads make a lot of dust, I have the same issue but I'll put up with it until pads are close to worn out (unless I get aftermarket wheels) then I'll change pads (and) rotors to something better, pads will be Akebono Ceramic for sure.
Have you had wear to your rotors? I do already with around 3,000mi on them. You know the little gouges like a record has only deeper. That seems unusual to me but I'm not to concerned as those are wear parts and easy enough to replace. I don't hear any grinding or anything like that just seems unusual this early on. I'll have dealer look at them when I take in for first oil change...I won't have them replace though (unless warranty covers it, fat chance).
Also those Akebono pads don't chew up the rotors either at least not on my Mk4.

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Only have 800 miles so nothing unusual with the rotors. But this is the vehicle that stays outside in the driveway. So any moisture and the rotors are covered in surface rust. I am looking at these coated rotors or similiar.
https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/volkswagen/golf-alltrack/1.8-Turbo-2015-/55814
Also looking for 18" wheels, keep the 17" for winters. When I swap those plan to paint the calipers and replace pads...and rotors?

Reactions
No more Scooby...You said, " When I swap those plan to paint the calipers and replace pads...and rotors?"...YES, by all means replace rotors too.

I've always replaced rotors when I do pad change, it used to be common practice to have rotors resurfaced and some people probably still do...I don't

I rather spend a little more and not have to worry about the new pads bedding into to old rotors, eating up the new pads, warped rotors from resurfacing etc.