Welcome to Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Golf Alltrack Tuning Thread
1 Likes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsun98294 View Post
    I'm kind of interested in this type of engine mod too (a ECU flash or piggy back system) Can you elaborate as to how the dieselgate scandal has to do with these engine mods for gas engines? I don't see the connection.
    To put it in simple terms: Increasing the combustion temperature of the engine increases the thermal efficiency (better fuel economy and/or more power). The only problem with running engines at higher temperature is that the air in the combustion chamber which consists of 78% Nitrogen turns into NO, NO2, NO3 etc.. (NOx). In the presence of high heat, NOx emissions exponentially increase out the tailpipe. NOx is what causes smog in the air and affects peoples lungs/asthma problems. Engine manufactures perform a fine balancing act to calibrate the engine to meet emission standards and have good driveability under all conditions. NOx emissions in diesel and gas engines behave a bit differently but same general ideas apply, basically high heat yields higher emissions.

Bottom line: with these ECU flash or piggy back systems you are changing your vehicle's calibration to optimize it for power or fuel economy or both. However, I'm not sure if they spent the extra money testing, that costs in the $30,000-$200,000+ price range, to see what happens to the rest of a vehicle's emissions (HC, CO, NOx, PM) which typically affects peoples health.

Does anyone know if there are any EPA or CARB approved mods, not just pending approval? Or should I not ask :)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that explanation, well stated...and YES you should ask about EPA/CARB approved mods. Anything that changes emissions (for the worse) should be not taken lightly.
    For all I know our Alltracks could already be cheating emissions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snowj720 View Post
    Brendub, Stoked you are having a good experience with the Racechip. I'm not doubting it. The gen consen does seem to point to positive results, but there are bad reviews that can't be denied. Some claim it's little more than snake oil (so to speak). Are their numbers at the crank or real world?
    Nilly, That unitronic sounds badass, but I worry when a company can't do simple math. Their gains number don't match their charts and their stock numbers don't match the manufacturer numbers.
    Who woulda thunk there'd be so much to think about for a simple mod. I just want the one that gives me results without CELs.
    Hey Snow,

Sorry for the delay, been busy with a new little one at home. I can't speak to the numbers as I haven't done any Dino time. I've had my tune about 9k miles so far and am still in love with it. Only maintenence to this point was an oil change and general checkup service at the dealer.

A good friend of mine is the sales manager at my local dealership and he's the one that recommended Unitronic to me. I looked at APR as well but went with my friends recommendation.

As for MPG, it really depends on driving style. I can be conservative and get another 4-5 MPG over what I was getting stock but I didn't flash my ECU to be conservative. By no means am I racing, but I'm enjoying my daily commute. With that, I'm getting the same as stock MPG.

For environmentals, I assume they are not working to meet any standards. My aim is to pass state emissions without cheating the system. I have no plans on removing cats or any other protection devices from the car. I've had much heavier modified vehicles and they all passed without issue. Beyond that, I don't know what the overall output change is on the car either.

Wish I had better answers but like everyone else, I just have speculation and observation to base this all off of.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Following up on my previous concern about certification of the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade for emissions. I guess it is legit.
    Last month APR received their approval from the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade, and our Alltracks are on the list. There is a copy of the CARB Executive approval on the bottom of their webpage. WOW I guess that's why they call California a progressive state. I wonder if it's available to the rest of the 49 states?

UPDATE 12/3: After looking into whether the APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade is allowed in all 50 states it looks like the CARB Executive order may be acceptable to the 16 or so states mostly in the Notheast that have adopted California's standard and maybe the rest of the states, as well. IF anyone related to APR know about this issue please post or clarify on the APR website, so it is clear to all.
    Last edited by Arm&Hammer; 12-03-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234