Welcome to Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New tire buying help (2017 S trim)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just bought a 2017 S with about 24k miles (pic below). I really like the car. It's quite an upgrade from my 2003 Forester I was previously driving.

Unfortunately, the Falken tires are worn and I need to buy new ones. I live in St. Louis and only occasionally drive to Colorado in the winter, so no need for snow tires, just a good all-season model.

I know very little about cars and/or buying tires. So:

1. What tire do you recommend?
    2. Any advice on where or how to buy them?

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181108_122510960_HDR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	41

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also a previous Subaru owner, a 2003 Outback. I like driving this Alltrack but not as reliable in the past 6 months as my 15 year old Subaru. I hate the Falken tires. Mine are not worn out at 4000 miles, I don't drive much, however, if I leave it parked for a week or so it seems to develop flat spots. The flat spots seem to go away after a while but a pain to drive with humming and slight vibration. Anyway stay away from the Falkens. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to tires, but my 10 year old Michelin tires on the Subby never gave me a problem even before I got rid of the car.
    I've been researching tires and you'll get lots of advice here I'm sure, by changing sizes and aspect ratios to get more choices. In summary there is not much choice in the 205/55R17 size. I thought about about going slightly larger 215/55R17, slightly increases the diameter which gives you a lot more options/brands. You can go even larger and increase to 60 series but it affects your speedo, you can gain 0.5-1 inch, more clearance, which looks cool. There are recalibration tools to recalibrate your speedometer but it's more work.
    Bottom line go with Michelin or Continentals all the rest are crap for our car and maybe go to 215 size if your shop/installer agrees and you will have more choice in brands.
    Let us know what you find.
    Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you end up making a decision? I have a SE with 40K miles and I loathe the Falkens. Thinking hard about changing to 215 55 r17 even though at the dealership that's anathema. I can't believe no Michelins. The Michelins with VWs are great, I was ready to get back into Michelin Primacy MX and it was crushing to hear that the options are so limited. Can anyone point me to a thread whereby someone went to a 215 55 r17 and lived to tell about it / VW gods didn't strike you down? Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    After significant time searching and shopping recently installed General G-MAX AS-05 Ultra High Performance All Season 225/50ZR17 from tirebuyer.com installed by pep boys. OE 205/55-17 Falkens wore evenly and lasted 32k miles could have gone a couple k miles if I had been a bit more strict with tire rotations. These new General tires are 2 cm wider but more critically they are the same overall diameter as the stock tires so odom-speedo accuracy change is practically nil. These new tires fit perfectly with plenty room to spare. The price w/rebate was so inexpensive I got a 5th tire and a refurbished matching factory alloy wheel to make a spare tire set replacing the compact spare which I don't like. Golf is not equipped with TPMS makes this task even simpler. Still able to achieve 31-32mpg on my work commute.