Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

2016 S3 Prestige upcoming road trip

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
On April 8, I will be taking my 2016 Audi S3 on its first road trip to Annapolis. I think it will improve the fuel economy by some, but the car is currently getting 25-27 MPG. I have it set in individual mode, with the power train in comfort mode, so it will improve the fuel economy (I constantly commute), it short shifts more, it's just comfort mode for an S3. It won't drive like a Town Car or an MKS with the 3.7L engine, but like I said, it's comfort mode for an S3. I have over 1300 miles on it now, soon to increase to a bigger number sometime to a much bigger number in the next month or two. I really think I will get much better fuel economy on the road trip, going to Annapolis from my place, on the one way trip, but first on that list would be to reset the trip monitor, which I always do after I refuel the car. This first road trip is definitely going to be a chance to get noticeably better fuel economy with the car. This I think will go well...

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Looking forward to your feedback and updates.

OP
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #3
Looking forward to your feedback and updates.
Well, the road trip won't be happening until April, but I will keep you posted, and hopefully they have Wifi in the hotel we will be going to because I do not want to use any of my unused data on my phone. Hopefully the one way trip from my place to Annapolis will increase my fuel economy.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
It will be interesting to see what mpg you get. Is it mostly flat terrain or hilly? I've done a few from San Antonio to Dallas which is a little over 4 hours on mainly straight highways and average about 28-29mpg.

OP
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #5
It will be interesting to see what mpg you get. Is it mostly flat terrain or hilly? I've done a few from San Antonio to Dallas which is a little over 4 hours on mainly straight highways and average about 28-29mpg.
This road trip will actually have some hills, but most of them are downhill, some up. It will be mostly flat terrain, and where I will be at, which is downtown Annapolis, will be flat. From where I live it will take about one hour and a half, or a little more. Maryland has mostly hilly terrain anyways, so I would expect mostly downhill, which would make the S3 get better fuel economy. There is one spot that has a really big downhill that I think I can drift down in order to get better fuel economy, but we're not talking hybrids. I will expect to average about high 20s, maybe low 30s possibly, because I will be doing mostly highway driving and some city driving.

jfglass

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
Why did you buy an S3? If fuel economy is a major concern, an A3 would have been better choice. My S3 has only used "comfort" for the suspension! And that's only a concession for the wife given the crappy roads around here. Exhaust is always Dynamic as is Steering. I still get 23-24 in suburban driving. 26-27 on I-95 with the cruise set at 80mph.

OP
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #7
Why did you buy an S3? If fuel economy is a major concern, an A3 would have been better choice. My S3 has only used "comfort" for the suspension! And that's only a concession for the wife given the crappy roads around here. Exhaust is always Dynamic as is Steering. I still get 23-24 in suburban driving. 26-27 on I-95 with the cruise set at 80mph.
For me, it's a daily commuter that I also use for actual joyrides unlike my last car which was a total s**t bag. And just so you know, it doesn't have the magnetic suspension, and practically no options but the Prestige package.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
I'm surprised the Prestige package doesn't have the magnetic ride as standard.