Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

TPS & After-market rims?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 s3
Out of curiosity...has anyone here put after market rims on their s3 yet? I am planning to do a summer set up, but im wondering what would happen with the TPS and if warning lights will show in my dash.

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Out of curiosity...has anyone here put after market rims on their s3 yet? I am planning to do a summer set up, but im wondering what would happen with the TPS and if warning lights will show in my dash.
We don't have tpms sensors on our Audis, but we do have some on our Mercedes-Benz with aftermarket wheels. We bought our TPMS from an auto parts store called Car Quest, which is much cheaper than going through the dealer.

What wheels are you looking to get?

OP
L
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 s3
Thread Starter #3
I honestly thought that the s3 comes with TPS...

Looking to get BBS CI-R

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I've read that Audi uses Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring to monitor tire pressure so it won't need tpms sensors.

OP
L
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 s3
Thread Starter #5
Beauty! Thanks guys!

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Yup Audi, VW, Mazda and even Honda all use Indirect TPMS.

http://www.tpmsmanager.com/blog/the-return-of-indirect-tpms/
How Indirect TPMS Works
Indirect TPMS works with the vehicles ABS and employs wheel speed sensors to measure the rotational speed of each of the four wheels. As a tire?s pressure decreases, the rolling radius decreases, and the rotational speed of that wheel increases correspondingly. If this ratio deviates from a set tolerance, one or more tires must be over or under-inflated. When this condition is met, a telltale then indicates to the driver that a tire is under-inflated. One downside to the early indirect systems is that the telltale cannot identify specifically which tire is under-inflated.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Oh this is perfect as I plan on getting a new set of wheels too.

rickmz

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
TPS & After-market rims?

Did not have a problem with the TPS. I'm not keeping these 20" Vorsteiner FF102 I put them on for a photo shoot for them while I wait for 19" FF101. I hope u enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine

bakedcorn

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom

Did not have a problem with the TPS. I'm not keeping these 20" Vorsteiner FF102 I put them on for a photo shoot for them while I wait for 19" FF101. I hope u enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine
I've purchased a set of winter alloys and rubber without the TPMS sensor for both the A3 and S3 with no issues as of late. I can't recall exactly but I read the new Audi's use the ABS sensors and analyze the waveform to determine if the tire pressure is low.

ScoobyS3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
All of my previous cars I put aftermarket rims/tires before my first payment. With the S3 it's different story. In my case I paid for the black optics package, in other words, I already bought my rims/tires. These Audis look and ride great with the factory equipment, just to be ruined by a harsh ride when replaced.. I don't understand why people can't be happy with the fancy rims their cars already come with! It's not like they're selling new Audis S3's with 15" rims that need to replacing asap!