Welcome to Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow driving
2 Likes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've ended up in a ditch (not in a VW, though) trying to use a downshift for engine braking. The shift can break traction and in the right (wrong) conditions, send you weaving and wallowing. Perhaps into a ditch.

If you anticipate, and downshift before a descent, you're cool. If you force a downshift in the middle of the descent, you may get in trouble.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGiz View Post
    Anectodal, so take it as you will.

I had a 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon with 5MT. On dry roads, handling was just OK. On wet roads it always felt vague and nervous and on snow it was more like a mover's dolly than a car going where it wanted and me fighting it. I will say, I never got stuck in snow, mud or ice.

Partway through my first winter, I needed some warranty work and dealer ordered parts. They sent me home in the exact same car, but with an automatic transmission.

On the way home it rained, then freezing rain. The car felt much, much better than mine. The next morning the rain turned to snow, then heavy snow -- building up faster than the plows could deal. Again, the car went where I pointed it with no drama. WTH?

So I did a little research. It turns out with the manual, my car was full-time AWD -- sending power to all 4 wheels through 3 open diffs. Subies with automatics, on the other hand, were more like what the Alltrack has -- essentially FWD with a smart diff that can send power to the rear when slipping occurs. This felt and worked so much better than the AWD.

4Motion has even more advantages over the old Subie system. FWD VWs have ESC, which can apply a bit of braking to the inside front wheel on a turn, making the car pivot better and countering understeer. On 4Motion, that braking can be applied to any of the wheels, front or rear, and more aggressively. This means as long as one (or hopefully 2) tires have traction, the car will brake the others to force the power to the wheels that are gripping.

While not a locking or even limited slip differential, it effectively works the same way without the weight or expense.

Drive your car. Be smart. You'll be fine.
    I have a 2003 5MT Subaru Forester, and my experience with it completely mirror yours. It's much better with dedicated winter tires, but still nervous and tentative on curves. The Alltrack is so much better and so much more fun and competent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12