Welcome to Volkswagen Golf Alltrack Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

View Poll Results: When did you perform the first oil change?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1,000 Miles

0 0%
  • 2,000 Miles

0 0%
  • 3,000 Miles

1 9.09%
  • 4,000 Miles

1 9.09%
  • 5,000 Miles

4 36.36%
  • 6,000 Miles

1 9.09%
  • 7,000 Miles

0 0%
  • 8,000 Miles

1 9.09%
  • 9,000 Miles

0 0%
  • 10,000 Miles

3 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When did you perform the first oil change?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I know some people like to change their FIRST oil early or stick with the suggested interval. Curious to know where you guys stand in terms of oil change.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm leaving mine until the suggested interval. Mind you it will be the first new vehicle I've let go past 6 months without new oil.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plan to do mine a little early.

New Member theguywiththelongestname's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did mine a 9980 ... so, 10K miles.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't yet, but in the last few days when I turn mine off a reminder in the instrument cluster is counting down days it now says 28 days to recommended oil change...I've got about 1200 miles on odometer!
    Just wondering if everyone else has had this and ignored it or changed out original oil and gone from there. Is this part of break in period type of thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car is suggesting it after 8000 miles and about 8 months of ownership. Not sure on what kind of oil to use or how to reset the computer...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsun98294 View Post
    I haven't yet, but in the last few days when I turn mine off a reminder in the instrument cluster is counting down days it now says 28 days to recommended oil change...I've got about 1200 miles on odometer!
    Just wondering if everyone else has had this and ignored it or changed out original oil and gone from there. Is this part of break in period type of thing?
    Update: I called a VW dealer (Pignataro) and spoke to service rep, he said that the reminder was set around time of production and because it's a 2017 the reminder shows up (early for my New car). He said to disregard and I could bring into dealer and have reset (for free)
    Also, he told me that it's best to change around 5,000mi NOT VW's recommended 10,000mi. I was surprised he told me that, I would have thought a VW dealer would stand behind the VW recommended oil change interval of 10,000mi.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

READ your owners manual starting on page 342 for oil type instead of asking here, you may get bad info. But basically Spec 502 full synthetic SAE 5w-30, or SAE 5w-40.
    8,000 mi? I would say you're due for oil change. IMO One thing I've found out recently is it's almost mandatory to check your oil level on a regular basis as many of these 1.8L engines use oil. VW claims it's within their spec if engine uses up to a quart every 1,000mi. Which is ridiculous.
    I think it depends a lot on how you drive, if your the type that likes to drive hard (hi revs) you'll probably be more likely to use more oil than someone that drives easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah I know. It's a lease and the old ladies car. I drive a BMW 135i 6mt that see's much stricter maintenance!

I bought 6 quarts of Mobil1 0-40 Euro blend and the filter, o-ring, and replacement drain plug off Amazon as well. I plan to do it myself! :)

Found a good deal on a 3 pack of the oil change parts: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079V5SRNW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Oil: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SKV4U2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Very timely question.
    I just bought my first VW and had the same question. Build date on my car is 4/17 and the reminder message just came on with 480 miles on the car. I'm assuming our cars also have a one year timer for the oil change interval . I'm going to disregard it and change it this summer.

Got a good deal with some negotiation since it sat at the dealership for 10 months. Everything is great about the car so far except for the Falken tires that were out of round/flat spots, probably because it sat so long without moving. Dealer was nice they replaced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast